 CAD / Development / 8126
Re: Question about the Future of LDraw CAD family.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 03:54:51 GMT

I think Dwayne brings up a very interesting topic. Although I am more of an
"outsider" to the CAD community (principally because my skills simply don't
match the superior ones found here, at least for now); I have recently spent
quite a bit of time thinking about this while writing the Powertools book
for Syngress.

<snip>
Of course, there is the point of preserving Ldraw cohesiveness (which is its
power) via strict technical / scientific review. However, there is nothing
wrong with "recognized as unofficial", or simply "unofficial" for short. To
me, a future of mutliple ldraw-based unofficial libraries acknowledged maybe
through a Parts Tracker-like system seems like a good future for everyone
... with some potential caveats to work out.

All of this is beyond a simple newbie like me to even comment on... its for the
guys and gals who have been with this project for a long time.
But I would forsee such things happening and for the better of the LDraw
Legecy, James would be amazed and proud to have his work expand so much and
give pleasure to so many.

To you Dwayne, I can only give you a long shot, but there is a
ldraw-complaint (I think) software called AnkerCAD which might give you some
boost, if only the inspirational kind.

http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/ankercad.htm

Found this link, just a hour or two after posting this, see my comments to the
author of the program.

Thanks for the heads up,
Dwayne Miller

PS: if it helps anyone, webmaster just setup a primitive site search page at:
http://www.ldraw.org/temp/simple_search/
searches just the ldraw site, and works well. Promise to incorpeate it into the
main site was made.