 CAD / Development / 8132
Re: Question about the Future of LDraw CAD family.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:33:52 GMT

<snip>
I agree. While personally, I frown on clone brands, I like the idea of
developing libraries for non-LEGO based building systems like K'Nex and
Hirstarts. I just browsed the Hirst site, and that stuff is wonderful!

Clone brands, seem to be growing in popularity, good or bad, it _should_ be
good for even the purists, as it should drive down cost for the Lego Brand.

Nothing I am going to complain about... LDraw means I no longer have to let the
kids play with _MY_ Legos, they can play on the computer with virtual Legos.

If I remember correctly, Bruce Hirst contacted me before about creating 3D
models using LDraw. But, it's been probably almost a year since then, and I
don't have the emails. It may not have been him, but for some reason I think
it was. Anyways, it's already been discussed.

Ok, what was the results of this discussion? URL, or summary is fine.

And I am rapidly expanding my  knowledge of the LDraw .dat format and quickly
building up more data files for CastleBlocks.

This would be a great way to expand James' legacy to more than just LEGO
builders. The LDraw system is versatile and can be used to model almost
anything, it would be perfect for Castlemolds.

Yep that it would be, I have looked at tons of differant things, and given lots
of factors, not the least of which was price, support, and versitily, LDraw
seems to be the best bet, short of starting over and writing from sratch.

PS: if it helps anyone, webmaster just setup a primitive site search page at:
http://www.ldraw.org/temp/simple_search/
searches just the ldraw site, and works well. Promise to incorpeate it into • the main site was made.

I was copied on that email when Jacob set that up, but for some reason the
page can't be found when I click on it. We will integrate a search feature
sometime in the future.

Well for some reason when I posted that I hand typed it and added a trailing /
http://www.ldraw.org/temp/simple_search
That one works. Sorry about that. Next time will copy and paste instead of hand
typing.

One further question, while I have the ears of the public.

How set in stone is the .dat format? I noticed on the LDraw.org new history an
annoucment of a file extention change, is there a chance that other things will
be added as well, expanded meta-commands, stuff like that? I understand that it
will have to preserve the backwords compat and all that, just wondering.

Thanks,
Dwayne