 CAD / Development / 8124
Re: Question about the Future of LDraw CAD family.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 03:45:38 GMT

<snip>
See my announcement of version 3 of BlockCAD in .announce - I also announced
a brother program for Anchor Stones (Ankersteine).

I found this program, a couple of hours after posting, seems too limited in its
blocks availble for what we do, and as what we do is totally freeform, no
pegs/holes to constrain us, overlapping a few blocks here and there (in life
its called scraping/cutting/sanding blocks), is VERY userful and practical.

Not to downplay the program, heck on the Hirst Arts Message board I posted the
company URL for the block system itself, as an interesting side trip for the
Hirst Art guys.  It meet with VERY favorable results, even from Mr. Hirst
himself. Its a good program, and the export to POV stuff looks VERY promising.

Now if a SDK could be made avaible to expand it, and maybe further branch off
the orginal cad program, with a CastleBlocksCAD program... then we might talk,
assuming that some of the restrictions present in the AnkerCAD can be
disable(even if on a stone by stone basis), as its IMPOSSIBLE to make datafiles
for every single block shape someone might carve.
<snip>

One of the most important things that we are currently missing is a way to • take
a block and add some form of texture, normally a cut stone, or a • cobblestone
effect.

In BlockCAD and AnkerCAD I solve this by exporting to POVRay, see an example
of an AnkerCAD rendering at
http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/pict/leuchtturm1.jpg

Impressive, mind sharing how you would go about using meta commands to do that?
thats about the EXACT texture that 80%+ of our blocks use, rest is REALLY
rough, fieldstone/cobblestone/flagstone, or smooth polished stone (first is
going to be a real bear, means hand coding each rough cut stone by hand, 2nd is
just a matter of color, at least it will do).

BlockCAD exports LDRAW data, and uses L3P (or L2P) to convert to POVRay,
while AnkerCAD exports directly, and uses a POV library of the stones that
I've made myself. Both programs give you one-click rendering.

But that means that in order to use it, we would have to see what blocks are
availble in both systems, and only use them, until such time as more datafiles
could be made.
I do like the direct to POV export option tho.. something lacking in the
Windows CAD for regular legos.

AnkerCAD uses a part format of it's own (of course!), and the part editor is
built-in. It is not suitable for the level of detail that LDRAW parts have,
but more for quick sketching.

Yea, it seemed crude, compared to even the BlockCAD program... but definatly
something I am going to watch for updates on... and play with a bit.

A crude 'import LDRAW part' function exists, and it can work for larger, not
very detailed, parts, if they already exist in LDRAW.

I was unable to import any of my homemade blocks, granted, it may be our
homemade primitves that are to blame, but I am attempting to go around as many
of them as possible, at least until we make some primitives that automaticly
put on a stone face. Using the Lego primitives seems like a better bet, they
are already made, documented... I will not say perfectly, but well enough you
can muddle thru. Much better than making your own... But do I ever have an idea
for a new primitive...

Take a look at the program(s), and feel free to mail me directly for further
questions about AnkerCAD and it's possibilities for other blocks!

Ok rather than email you seperatly, what the heck, is another branch of the
program a possiblity? My coding skills are rusty and were never that good, but
providing its in a langugue I have skills in, I will help (VB, Ansi C, Ansi C++)

Thanks,
Dwayne Miller