 CAD / Development / 6164
Re: Test posting of "Unoffficial Update"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 16:28:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson writes:
I like my @-sign better. It only takes one character, and it puts them
first in the parts list (if sorted by description, of course). I recall
that someone used another character, but which one is not important.

Hmmm.  Maybe you're right, for the short term.  But putting Unofficial on
the front of the name makes it clear for everyone.  Most people wouldn't
know what the @-sign means.

I'm jumping in late here, so I may have missed a vital point, but wouldn't
a blank space at the beginning of the part description force-sort the part
to the beginning of parts.lst?  I mean, could we have:

9999.dat   Unofficial Part: Brick  2 x 7
3001.dat  Brick:  2 x  4

or something similar?  I realize that longer part descriptions might not
work with this format, but might this be a fair stop-gap measure?  Even if
we used:

9999.dat   Unofficial Brick  2 x  7

instead of:

9999.dat   Unofficial Part: Brick 2 x 7

we would convey the necessary meaning and not take up too much space.

Just a few idle ramblings...

Dave!