 CAD / Development / 6162
Re: Test posting of "Unoffficial Update"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 16:17:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tore Eriksson writes:
I like my @-sign better. It only takes one character, and it puts them
first in the parts list (if sorted by description, of course). I recall
that someone used another character, but which one is not important.

Hmmm.  Maybe you're right, for the short term.  But putting Unofficial on
the front of the name makes it clear for everyone.  Most people wouldn't
know what the @-sign means.

Long-term, I want to use this 'unofficial release' page as (at least) a
segue into the permanent interface people use to get uncertified parts.
There are some important pieces that this page puts into place (well, if the
links weren't broken):

1. The complete list of available uncertified parts is available.  Query
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/parts.lst>.
2. The complete list relating uncertified parts to uncertified
subparts/primitives is available.  Query
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/subparts.lst>.
3. Any uncertified file can be grabbed with the URL
http://www.ldraw.org/library/unofficial/%part% -- just replace %part% with
the relative path to the file - parts are in /parts/, primitives are in /p/,
subparts are in /parts/s/.

All this is the long way of saying: eventually, files won't be posted to the
'uncertified parts' page until they have at least a clean header, including
a '0 Unofficial Part' line.  At that time, I think it would make sense to
just do away with any 'Unofficial' lead tag on the title.

Steve