 CAD / 3513
Re: L3Lab - yet another LDraw viewer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:38:13 GMT

"Lars C. Hassing" wrote:

Thank you all for the many nice comments.

<snip>

Not at all..:-) People who creates amazing tools and shares them with
others have always a place at my heart.

Selçuk Göre wrote...
I've just uploaded several DAT files to dat.models. They are mostly
from my childhood, just before the darkages time, when I was 12-13
years old (1982-1984). They all computerized versions of physical
models(1) and my collection was a very limited one(2) at the time
that I built those, so sorry about stupid looking color schemes and
absurd use of pieces.

The models are generally consists of 500-1500 pieces. I suggest using
newly introduced renderer, L3Lab, since and its rendering speed and
on the fly rotation are just like magic..:-)

Thank you for the recommandation.
And it's nice to have such large, well-built models to try L3Lab
out against.

Not at all again..:-) Here is just some recommendations (about your
viewer)

* How about adding a "panning" function? I guess that you will already
implement an autozoom function in the future.

* How about supporting other file formats, like *.lcd of LeoCAD?, by
Leonardo Zide? I'm sure he will happily supply you with the file format
that he uses.

* How about sharing (1) your (magical -since you even don't use any
hardware acceleration) ways of rotating and rendering with other lego
CAD programmers? AFAIK, the biggest problem with the Lego CAD software
is rendering speed. I'm a LeoCAD user, and appreciate it at the maximum
extent possible (it has almost all the functions that one might want to
see in a Lego CAD software, and has them from the beginning and some of
the features that it has still could only be "talked" for other
software)

Thank you very much again for such a great addition to community.

Selçuk

(1)I think it is not inappropriate since you already said that you don't
have a plan to extend the program as an "editor" and you will publish
the source code.