 CAD / 3574
Re: L3Lab - yet another LDraw viewer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:44:46 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote...
In lugnet.cad, John VanZwieten wrote:

Wow!  I finally got around to trying this out.  It's just amazing.  Anyone
care to hazard a guess at how long it took to render all of Datsville?

[rendering time snipped, just in case you haven't read John's message yet.]

WOW.  That is incredible.

Can L3 work with LDAO's editor, like LDLite does?  That would be great for
part creation, too.

Not right now.  For LDLite, the -P command-line parameter activates
Polling.  In L3Lab, it automatically renders, prints, and exits.

GyuGyi shouldn't have chosen -P, as Windows uses -p,-P,/p,/P for printing
e.g. when you drag a DAT file to the printer.

L3Lab doesn't support printing (I know I forgot to turn the menus off :-)
so I *could* use the -P option, but I would like to leave that open.
Steve, can you launch L3Lab like "L3Lab -poll <file>" in stead (or is the -P
hardcoded). Then I will make a -poll option.

To work on multiple files, your best bet is to use the File | Open
command from the LDAO Editor.  This should maintain the link between
LDAO and L3Lab (let me go try that a second; drat!)  That does not
produce the expected results.  Let me explain.  No, that would take too
long, let me sum up.

The LDAO Editor writes two temp files: one contains the code from the
file being edited, and the other contains a reference to the other file,
with the view settings from the Editor.  The view-program (either LDLite
or L3Lab) renders the second file.  L3Lab caches the sub-file, the one
with all the code, and never checks it for changes.  When LDAO loads a
new file, it keeps the same two temp files, just replacing their
contents.  When L3Lab renders the main file, it refers to its cached
copy of the subfile, which contains the old edit file, not the current
edit file.

Just turn off "Cache subfiles" in the File menu!
Perhaps I should make another commandline option for this, -nocache?
/Lars