 CAD / 3571
Re: L3Lab - yet another LDraw viewer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:59:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, John VanZwieten wrote:

Wow!  I finally got around to trying this out.  It's just amazing.  Anyone
care to hazard a guess at how long it took to render all of Datsville?

[rendering time snipped, just in case you haven't read John's message
yet.]

WOW.  That is incredible.

A couple of things I'd love to see added to this:

Ability to drag the object to move it into view (or at least be able to add
x- and y-offsets.)

Ooo, yeah.  That would be good.

Can L3 work with LDAO's editor, like LDLite does?  That would be great for
part creation, too.

Not right now.  For LDLite, the -P command-line parameter activates
Polling.  In L3Lab, it automatically renders, prints, and exits.

What you can do instead is this:

- Open LDAO's editor
- Set the view-angle to Front in LDAO
- Look at the LDLite window to get the temp-file name
- Open the temp file in L3Lab
- On L3Lab's File menu, activate Poll for Changes
- Close the LDLite window.

This work-around works great, unless you flip around between a lot of
different files.

To work on multiple files, your best bet is to use the File | Open
command from the LDAO Editor.  This should maintain the link between
LDAO and L3Lab (let me go try that a second; drat!)  That does not
produce the expected results.  Let me explain.  No, that would take too
long, let me sum up.

The LDAO Editor writes two temp files: one contains the code from the
file being edited, and the other contains a reference to the other file,
with the view settings from the Editor.  The view-program (either LDLite
or L3Lab) renders the second file.  L3Lab caches the sub-file, the one
with all the code, and never checks it for changes.  When LDAO loads a
new file, it keeps the same two temp files, just replacing their
contents.  When L3Lab renders the main file, it refers to its cached
copy of the subfile, which contains the old edit file, not the current
edit file.

Clear as mud, right?

Anyway, just to make this process more difficult, you can open the
subfile in L3Lab.  This will disable *all* of the view-options from
LDAO, but it might be worth that (slight) loss.  The main file is always
named Edit*.*.  The subfile will be in the same directory as the main
file, named Code*.*.

There seems to be some variables at work within LDAO, as far as
temp-file location and extension.  I'll have to work on those.

Steve