 CAD / 15090
Re: It’s the year 2008, where are my parts updates?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:58:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Paul Sinasohn wrote:
   Are there instructions anywhere on how to download and install or update unofficial parts?

Is there a repository where all the unofficial parts live?

To answer both of your questions, take a look at LDraw.org’s Download Unofficial Parts page.

Although the ‘instructions’ are kinda brief. Sorry about that.

Basically, you do this:
  1. Download the zip file (the link at the bottom of the unofficial parts page)
  2. Unzip the zip to a temporary location. Notice that the zip has a “parts” and a “p” directory.
  3. Copy the “parts” and “p” directory into your C:\LDraw directory.
Note that step 3 will dump the unofficial files right in with the official files, so programs (like MLCAD) will treat the unofficial files like part of the parts library. Unfortunately, about the only way to undo this action is to reinstall LDraw. Your other option is to put the unofficial directories under your C:\LDraw\Models directory -- most programs will find the files here, but they won’t be included in the parts lists (for example, you won’t see them in MLCAD’s parts tree).

Steve