 Announcements / 2409
  Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

Hi Everyone, I want to let you know that LEGO has provided (URL) with official pictures of the 2004 Knight's Kingdom and Harry Potter sets. Ben E. Sets Admin at CC (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.castle, lugnet.harrypotter, FTX) !!

  RE: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

Hi Everyone, I want to let you know that LEGO has provided (URL) with official pictures of the 2004 Knight's Kingdom and Harry Potter sets. Ben E. Sets Admin at CC Hi Ben Thanks for the heads up. Are the HP sets using real skin tones or is that (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

so now we can see the buttress piece with a window is one big prefabbed piece (URL) in the big castle and the jousting set too. May proove handy but looks needlessly 'poop'y to me. I do like the look of the new castle, despite myself tho (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) XFUT to Trains... so that a subthread can get started, to talk about the new purple TRAIN windows in the Knight Bus (along with some other parts, I'm thinking there are enough parts there now to do a very creditable Orient Express-ish train if (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

I'm pretty excited about the Harry Potter sets. They are great for town, train and castle. 4753 is simply spiffy: (URL) the trains: (URL) this standard red or the new darker red? I'm hoping standard red for the train windows. And don't forget that (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Clearly skin tone. Compare it in the sets with yellow bits. (URL) use of the parrot part in this one. (URL) bad there's so much of the hideous new brown and greys in these sets. Don (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) The new HP sets go a long way to restoring my faith in lego. I was truly disgusted by the new KK and pirate sets. My expectations for those lines, based on last year's sets, was that lego was finally leaving juniorization behind. These HP sets (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) There are also some more pictures (of the boxes only) and pricing at (URL) This retailer's prices seem to be a bit inflated, but at least you can see the price range. Kelly (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Thanks for the pics! Generally the set designs look pretty good. I'm especially impressed with the use of actual plates for the roofs. Anyone notice that some of the purple bricks on the HP bus set appeared to be slightly different shades? (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Hmm, interestingly (and unfortunate if it is correct) it appears that the Griffin does not have the space in it's back that horses have in order to add a saddle and rider in the normal manner. I am basing this on the angle shown in (URL) , (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) I've had a chance to see some different pictures of these and other sets and it appears to me that Lego is switching to flesh tones for all minifigs. Can anyone verify this? To me, that would be a much greater problem than any other color (...) (20 years ago, 6-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

Some great parts in the new sets... For example: Light blue suitcase tile 1 x 1 with padlock pattern (although its in colors that make it less usefull for my chosen field, space) large doors on the set 4757 (since I dont use brown for much, I dont (...) (20 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.year.2004)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) I was so excited when I read thet there was pictures of the third movie sets but when I was them I was disgusted with the new colors of everything! (20 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

Woof! Lego finally made a dog! (URL) And mucho corner roof pieces. (20 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) What are you barking about? (URL) Other Fidos abound as well. Besides, isn't that supposed to be a wolf? JOHN (20 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) DOESNT THE BOX MAKES IT LOOK LIKE THERE WILL BE A BLUE VERSION AND A RED VERSION???...??? (20 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Wasn't sure what box you were talking about at first. You mean this picture of 8781: (URL) the little picture in the upper right of the box makes me think it comes with extra hi-light pieces to switch it from being the "blue" forces' castle to (...) (20 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Well, looks like the non-HP (Knight's Kingdom) sets in the new pics on (URL) still use classic yellow minifigs. Look at the hands of the jousting knight in 8777 or the king's face in 8781. This would fit with the "flesh tones for real people (...) (20 years ago, 7-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.harrypotter)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Some sets are different from the initial pictures 8777 version 1: (URL) version 2: (URL) version 1: (URL) version 2: (URL) the armors. LBaixinho (20 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

This is a very interesting compasion, Luis. Thanks for pointing it out. I would guess that the versions of these two sets Jake supplied are actually in-house prototypes. The color of the dark blue / gray / light gray knight doesn't match the (...) (20 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) You are correct Brendan. The CC members noticed this discrepancy right away. I asked Jake and he said they were most likely prototype pictures. It is interesting to note the change of 8778 from a large spider to spikes made from spears. Ben E. (20 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) So, which is the true version? i prefer the Classic-Castle version. maybe exists the others sets with right colors and not rainbow armors :) LBaixinho (20 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) The rule of thumb is that when you see two different versions and only one of them uses completely new pieces, the one that doesn't is just a preliminary model that's put together while they wait for prototypes of the new pieces. Also, when (...) (20 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

I mentioned this before. Looks like I was right. In the comic book that comes with the big knights it shows the castle being taken over and 'turning' red. Means some sad people (probably me included) will buy 2 :) -- James Stacey ------ (...) (20 years ago, 8-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) My presumption was the Jake-supplied photos were simply not the final product, and what you say on the box art was at least very close. Pretty much confirmed by this: (URL) From the tiny box art, I was unsure if there was anything but one new (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Perhaps not. But there is always LEGO Direct. I have been having a great building experience with the Legends and MOC product, the bulk accessories, and the overwhelmingly good building material found in the HP sets (Frequently on clearnce!). (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) I'm not part of that "us". I stopped buying Lego when Dragon Masters came out. There's nothing evil about fantasy Lego castles, but I am not interested in fantasy Lego castles. Note that the first fourteen years of Lego castles were (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) TLC has plenty of fantasy in all of their product line. IMHO, all of the castle line is fantasy, from it's inception onward. I never saw much realism in the line, more of a child-like representation of what we all dream life of a knight would (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Five new visors? Cool, and at least one new helmet to boot. Too bad the swords are all the same shape. (...) It's no less realistic than the first Castle set I ever got my hands on. You might remember it. Yellow walls? (...) Every single (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) The Dragon Masters were the first Castle sub-theme that I saw as being anywhere near as good as the combined Robin Hood Guys(tm) sub-themes. All of the basic castles just seemed kinda bland to me. Grey walls, more grey walls, grey walls with (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) "So in order to ensure that the learning and benefit of LEGO Direct is shared throughout the company, the various parts of this business are being "mainstreamed" into other parts of the company (product development, Brand Retail, and community (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) And no castle has ever been anything except primarily gray or black since. Besides, I don't like 375 precisely for the reason you mention (yellow). If you like the yellow castle and the Saturday Morning Cartoon approach, be my guest and buy (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Which, when you think about it, isn't very realistic. How many European castles are white? How many LEGO castles are? Besides, as long as both greys are still perma-changed, I'm not sure how popular grey castles would be with AFOLs right now. (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Gray is lot more realistic than bright yellow! :-) I wouldn't mind a castle in one of the "sand" colors. Or even a properly done white-washed castle. (...) As we said in the computer gaming industry: MOTS (More Of The Same). I already have the (...) (20 years ago, 9-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Hey, quick question. Any idea why ILTCO didn't get pictures of the subway car set? (URL) the one that seems most train-relevant at first glance. Bruce (20 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) It looks like you're right. To ride on Buckbeak you'll have to sit on top, like when riding a dragon: (URL) (20 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Somewhat, I guess. A lot of castles were built with sandstone, and while tan is the closest match, it wasn't introduced until 1997, IIRC, which would put it just a bit too late to be used in any of the European-style Castle sets. Yellow was (...) (20 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Sandstone was more of a construction material in the Middle East than Europe. However, most weathered stone is a lot "warmer" (yellow, orange, red) than standard issue Old Gray (and New Gray is actually shifted to the cool end of the (...) (20 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) (URL) Raglan Castle> in Wales is made with red and yellow sandstone. (URL) Castle>, (URL) Craignethan Castle>, and (URL) Duntreath Castle> in Scotland are made with yellow sandstone. (URL) Kenilworth Castle> in England is made of red (...) (20 years ago, 10-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) I didn't say it wasn't used - it was just more prevalent elsewhere than in Europe. But all well-sited, castle-builders used whatever was handy. -->Bruce<-- (20 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

Certainly there are a number of castles in south wales and the borders areas made like raglan, of sandstone. They look odd after hundreds of years of weathering as the bricks themselves have worn down but the mortar hasn't (20 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) That is a true point, castle stone is not something anybody in antiquity imported very much of. The labor and time needed to build from foreign stone would have made a military fortification moot. Often if it was a border dispute, they'd just (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Two other points to consider are that if you're building fortresses to defend your borders from neighboring countries...who exactly are you going to import stone from? Also, if you're trying to build something quickly with stone, you can (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures

(...) Yes, if it is for a unstable border, the walls would not be so much to keep the enemy out as to slow them down as they try to wipe your force out of the territory. Most of these in England that were built after 1066 had the purpose of housing (...) (20 years ago, 12-Feb-04, to lugnet.castle)