 Castle / 19207
Re: Official KK and HP 2004 pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:13:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Thomas Garrison wrote:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Aaron West wrote:

If LEGO wants to hit MEGA BLOKS back with a Power Ranger/Dragons theme
Castle line, so be it.  Kids will be drawn to it, sucked into a
never-ending spiral of buying LEGO blocks and making bigger (!) castles
themselves.  Worked for us 25 years ago, why not try to reproduce that
success in 2004?

I'm not part of that "us".  I stopped buying Lego when Dragon Masters came
out.  There's nothing evil about fantasy Lego castles, but I am not
interested in fantasy Lego castles.  Note that the first fourteen years of
Lego castles were non-fantasy.  TLC's experiece with drawing in customers
with fantasy castle stuff lies soley in Dragon Masters and the fabulously
successful Belville Fairy Tale and Fright Knights lines.

TLC has plenty of fantasy in all of their product line.  IMHO, all of the castle
line is fantasy, from it's inception onward.  I never saw much realism in the
line, more of a child-like representation of what we all dream life of a knight
would be like with our little brick-sets.  The ghosts and lack of town elements
certainly support fantasy.  The classic late 1980s line evoked more of a Robin
Hood vs Prince John kind of environment.  LEGO is pure fantasy, and what you do
with your imagination and bricks is only limited by your mind.  If you want
historical representations in LEGO form, you have to supply that yourself.
LEGO, TLC, is not in the business to do that.

LEGO Direct has pledged to research ways to get us our classic earth
tones, continue providing Legend sets and good exclusives like the
fan-based Castle assortment and is not going to ignore a profitable sale
to AFOLs.

Note that according to this message
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=820
Lego Direct no longer exists; hence LD can no longer honor any such
commitments it may have made.  Whether the remaining branches of TLC have
any interest in those areas remains to be seen.

I am sorry, but I do not see the statement anywhere in that post pointing to the
dissolution of Direct functions, service or business.  In fact, it seems to be
that it is the model for the growth of the rest of the company.  You are going
to have to point a little harder for me to see your pessimism.  I admit, that we
have to wait and see.  That is why I have chosen to champion Tan, if I am to buy
any bricks in my future.  For me to "mix" in the new earth tones, I am going to
need a second room just to house the parts.  Not sure if I am ready for that.

Just because a certain executive has left, does not mean we are all hung out to
dry.  Remember that other people work there too, and they have our interests,
and those of their market, in mind.

As you stated, you stopped buying LEGO when Dragon Masters came out, in 1993 I
believe.  So may I ask?  What's all the hubbub, bub???  I think you have other
issues to worry about, like how to keep old whites from turning yellow.
Don't let it rain on your pre-93 parade! :o)