 Animation / 218
Re: TLC/TLG about to supress fan created films?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:02:35 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, John Neal writes:

Why in the world should TLC *pay* fans to play with their products?  That
would
be very bad, because TLC wouldn't exist much longer with that marketing
strategy (amazing; a strategy even worse than juniorization;)

IANAL either, but what IMHO could be actionable by TLC would be a film about
juniorization using Lego bricks to demonstrate. Just think of the depression
and general negativity such a film could generate.

But in all seriousness, if TLC thinks that their product's image will be
damaged by an mature/immature subject in filmmaking, then they truly do not
appreciate or even understand the versatility of their product. I'd like to
take this moment to thank TLC for telling me what I can't do with their
product, contrary to "imagination" and "creativity", terms which have been
shouted in our faces for years. If the only legacy most people will ever
know in the "Lego Claim To Fame" department is "Letter To Cease, Desist And
Remove Potentially Offensive Content" then so be it, and let everyone
proclaim their possession of such a letter proudly.

Maybe TLC would choose to pay for a major motion picture to feature their
product, but they would expect a benefit (more sales).  Fans playing with
LEGO
*already* bought the product-- where's the benefit for TLC for paying?

It almost seems that we're buying more of a license to build with Lego
products than the brick itself. Here's part of the new EULA:

"
User consents to:
11) using or building with the product only in an insipid, non-harmful,
non-defaming, non-controversial, non-realistic fashion;
12) whether user wants to or not, uphold and maintain the name of Lego only
in the most squeaky clean way possible, so that TLC really won't be the most
recognizable or popular household name by 2006;
13) monetarily repay TLC for any damages or prevention of monetary profit
caused intentionally or unintentionally;
14) return, at user's expense, any and all acquired Lego bricks to TLC if
user feels himself about to backslide.
..."

Despite what TLC may feel about their logo showing up on almost every stud
on a brick, it does NOT endanger their image or their potential (toward
whatever end). If they feel that way, then shut down the TLC factories, and
for that matter, the computer monitor companies too because there are
horrible things that some guys are looking at on their
Sony/Toshiba/Mitsubishi/(other) monitors, each having a brand name displayed
right under the screen.

-Tom McD.
when replying, Preparation S... the latest in spammerrhoid treatment.