 Animation / 205
Re: TLC/TLG about to supress fan created films?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:20:39 GMT

Actually, I would say it's much, much different.  I think a better analogy
would be that if you bought Play-doh and made an animated film, certainly
Fischer-Price (or whoever makes PLay-Doh) would not have the right to
suppress your film.

There is also another huge difference.  Lego can copyright pictures and
writing they have made.  They can trademark symbols and combinations of
words.  They cannot trademark a building material.

I think your Sprite story in that context is correct, since Sprite can
trademark the Sprite Logo.  They can also trademark the name "Sprite".  But
take the Sprite out of the can and don't directly call it Sprite, and they
can do nothing about what you do with their product.

Jason

Ah, but no one here has bought the Lego trademark, only ABS.  As an analogy, I
could buy a case of Sprite, but if I made a movie wherein a character visibily
drank from cans of Sprite, the Coca-Cola company could be within its rights to
sue me for unauthorized reproduction (on film) of their trademarked can and
logo designs.  Of course, they wouldn't, but if the character in my
hypothetical movie were depicted as both a Sprite addict and a sociopathic
serial rapist and murderer they might, on grounds that I was damaging their
product.  I don't think that precise scenario applies to Lego movies, but
that's probably the same reasoning.  And so Lego has a reasonable right, IMHO,
to exercise control over use of their images--particularly any depictions of
their logo or distinctive pieces, such as minifigs.[1]

On the other hand, I bet TLC's marketing department is spitting fire right
now.  "You want us to try to market a ***two hundred dollar*** toy for making
Lego movies and then you shut down people who want to distribute Lego
movies??!!??  That's it; I'm heading to Ritvik."

TWS Garrison

[1]  See also
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=8127