 Animation / 200
Re: TLC/TLG about to supress fan created films?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:39:04 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Tamyra Teed writes:
A company cannot control what you do with a product after you've bought
it. Once you own the product, it's yours to do with as you please.  They
especially have no say in this as they've marketed sets for the creation
of these types of things.  They expected you to create movies, I don't
believe they have a leg to stand on when it comes to stopping someone
from showing any of these movies.

Ah, but no one here has bought the Lego trademark, only ABS.  As an analogy, I
could buy a case of Sprite, but if I made a movie wherein a character visibily
drank from cans of Sprite, the Coca-Cola company could be within its rights to
sue me for unauthorized reproduction (on film) of their trademarked can and
logo designs.  Of course, they wouldn't, but if the character in my
hypothetical movie were depicted as both a Sprite addict and a sociopathic
serial rapist and murderer they might, on grounds that I was damaging their
product.  I don't think that precise scenario applies to Lego movies, but
that's probably the same reasoning.  And so Lego has a reasonable right, IMHO,
to exercise control over use of their images--particularly any depictions of
their logo or distinctive pieces, such as minifigs.[1]

On the other hand, I bet TLC's marketing department is spitting fire right
now.  "You want us to try to market a ***two hundred dollar*** toy for making
Lego movies and then you shut down people who want to distribute Lego
movies??!!??  That's it; I'm heading to Ritvik."

TWS Garrison

[1]  See also
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=8127