 Animation / 206
Re: TLC/TLG about to supress fan created films?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:26:33 GMT

They may have provided materials, but the creators did not sign a contract
stating they would not distribute it because of this.

I hate to argue this point too finely, but providing the materials has
nothign to do with the copyright of the words or pictures LEGO uses.

------

On another note:  I've NEVER seen an official response from LEGO about this.
We only have Tim Drage and Tony Mine's story on this.  It's entirely
possible some lawyer at LEGO just jumped the gun and made a mistake.  They
might be wishing this all just went away.

In any case, Tony and Tim (creators of One: A Space Odyssey) have said they
are going to move on and distribute, so all is well in the end ... for now.

Jason

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Well, as TLC provided materials, then they can stop this particular film.  If
someone were to use thier own Lego pieces there is nothing legally TLC could
do so long as thier Logos are not used.  This is at least true in the US.  I am
not a lawyer but I have studied US copyright laws quite a bit for my own
knowledge.

-Mike Petrucelli