 Animation / 213
212  |  214
Subject:
Offtopic .. outgassing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 05:25:10 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Matthias Jetleb writes:

You know, I have noticed this.  Scratch a LEGO and you can definately smell a
strange odor coming from it, a very unpleasant odor.  I bet as they slowly,
slowy decompose that give off fumes.  But since it would probably take so long
to do so, I'm sure it's ok.

What is the half-life of a LEGO?

(1) An odd but interesting point on the subject of a phenomenon known
as out-gassing: On the Discovery Channel some time ago, there was a
program dealing with what NASA has to go through to qualify items for
space flight. It turns out that most materials decompose gradually,
giving off various gasses (the process of out-gassing), many of which
are toxic in large quantities. This is completely unnoticable on Earth
since the atmosphere absorbs the gas and dissipates it. In a very
small, closed environment, such as a spacecraft, where a very limited
quantity of atmosphere is constantly recirculated the levels of gas
build up toxic levels over a period of days or weeks. Short duration
missions aren't really affected by it, but longer ones (Skylab, Mir,
ISS) can see gas levels build up to unhealth levels. Carbon dioxide is
removed by filters, but there are so many different types of molecules
given off by different plastics and rubber compounds, etc, that it
isn't possible to build filters to remove each one. This, it turns out
is one of the main reasons why tools used in space are so rediculously
expensive. NASA can't just buy them at the local hardware store - they
have to be tested for both reliability (obviously) and out-gassing. It
turns out that there aren't a whole lot of modern materials that don't
exhibit this property. I would infer from this that we aren't going to
be seeing Lego in space for a while....