 Animation / 212
Re: TLC/TLG about to supress fan created films?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 05:18:32 GMT

I've had conversations with the directors of the film in question.  They did
NTO sign a no distribute contract.  The only thing close to it is that one of
the creators sent a letter to them promising he wouldn't distribute it, but
this was after LEGO contacted him and threatened him.

It was NOT a contract that he signed, just a letter.  Since there was no
consideration for his letter, it's not (in the US at least) a valid contract.

By the way, I would agree about LEGO's feeling after the comcentration camp
thing.  That was actually brought up recently in the Brickfilms forum.  LEGO
should certainly be sure of the intent of someone when they provide bricks to
them.

Jason

P.S. TLC, I'm currently making a really cool movie with LEGOs, a nice family
film.  CAn you give me some LEGOs? : )

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.publish.cinema, Jason Rowoldt writes:
They may have provided materials, but the creators did not sign a contract
stating they would not distribute it because of this.

...did not NECESSARILY sign...

I hate to argue this point too finely, but providing the materials has
nothign to do with the copyright of the words or pictures LEGO uses.

True, true. Not in and of themselves.

But we don't *know* what contract was signed, exactly. Were I LEGO(r), I
would put a clause in any contract, after the concentration camp incident,
that gave me control over the work if I supplied the parts... who knows what
LEGO actually did, though.

We are just speculating.

++Lar