 Animation / 208
Re: TLC/TLG about to supress fan created films?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:17:30 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"TWS Garrison" <tgarriso@math.purdue.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.publish.cinema, Tamyra Teed writes: • <snip>
Ah, but no one here has bought the Lego trademark, only ABS.  As an analogy,
I could buy a case of Sprite, but if I made a movie wherein a character
visibily drank from cans of Sprite, the Coca-Cola company could be within
its rights to sue me for unauthorized reproduction (on film) of their
trademarked can and logo designs.  Of course, they wouldn't, but if the
character in my hypothetical movie were depicted as both a Sprite addict and
a sociopathic serial rapist and murderer they might, on grounds that I was
damaging their product.  I don't think that precise scenario applies to Lego
movies, but that's probably the same reasoning.  And so Lego has a
reasonable right, IMHO, to exercise control over use of their
images--particularly any depictions of their logo or distinctive pieces,
such as minifigs.[1]

But if you are not reproducing their logo, only using their bricks, then
there is no unauthorized reproduction of trademarks, etc.

Quite right (assuming the resolution is too poor to distinguish the "Lego"
printed on each stud ;-).  Someone who uses Lego *bricks*, and identifies them
only as "plastic building blocks" or something of the sort would probably be
fine.  So Gary Istok could make a plastic building brick film, no problem.
However, I assume[1] that most Lego movies use Lego-specific pieces,
particularly minifigs.  IANAL, but according to

http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/join/

"The Mini-Figure image is a trade dress of the LEGO Company", so I assume that
*any* unauthorized reproduction of a minifig could, potentially, be a problem
(although fair use would presumably allow most of the reproductions we see on
the Web, I think).

Of course, what I wonder about is the situation with regard to Best-Lock figs,
which already look enough like minifigs that most people would assume they
*were* minifigs. . .

FUT .publish.cinema (arrggh, here I go again, setting follow-ups to a group I
don't read. . .)

TWS Garrison

[1] I haven't actually seen any Lego movies, primarily because they tend to be
distributed in Solaris-unfriendly formats.