 Animation / 203
Re: TLC/TLG about to supress fan created films?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:55:13 GMT

In lugnet.publish.cinema, Peter Guenther writes:

I think that LEGO is way overstepping its bounds on this one...especially if
they want to foster goodwill with the fan community.

-Tim
Well, as TLC provided materials, then they can stop this particular film. >>If someone were to use thier own Lego pieces there is nothing legally TLC >>could do so long as thier Logos are not used.  This is at least true in the >>US.  I am not a lawyer but I have studied US copyright laws quite a bit for >>my own knowledge.

-Mike Petrucelli

Yeah, this is an important point.  Note what the filmmaker says in his post:
"The film was completed with the cooperation of the Lego corporation and
they even provided some of the materials"  They made the film with official
Lego materials.  Whoever provided them may have been acting outside their
authority if it later went to higher levels who took a different stand.

Peter