 Administrative / Terms of Use / 187
Re: Theft, Definitive statements vs shaping thoughts(was Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 01:03:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Matthew Miller writes:
Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
Feel free to provide a cite. I don't have a Lexis ID but the 10 minutes I
spent on altavista looking mostly bolstered the opposite view. That's not a
definitive proof, mind you, as people are sloppy with words all the time.

I apologize. My statement is true for copyright law (with which I am much
more familiar), but apparently not so for trade secrets. (This is where all
of those I Am Not A Lawyer disclaimers come in.)

<http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/ch90.text.html#PC90>

Thanks for digging harder than I did, and... you sir, are a gentleman, I
appreciate the retraction.

Look on the bright side, the base fine appears to be capped at 5e6. Now if
we're talking Lira I can cover that. :-)

However, I also find it interesting that the code cited above contains the
phrases "to the economic benefit of anyone other than the owner thereof" and
"intending or knowing that the offense will, injure any owner of that trade
secret". It's not clear where the burden of proof for such things might lie,
although I certainly don't want to be the one to test it -- the potential
fines are amazingly huge. Arguably, knowing this information is to our
economic _detriment_, as we're all likely to spend lots of money on it. :)

Ya, it is a detriment to US, but we're incidental beneficiaries. The big
beneficiaries are KMart and TRU and Walmart, and of course KNex and MegaBlocks
etal, who lucked into this because of a well meaning fan who wanted to share
info that other fans wanted.

Perhaps something good will come of this... if TLC sees how to deliberately
leak info in a controlled manner to whip up our frenzy and get buzz going, it
will be good for them and more exciting for us. Right now we get the new year
line info in one big glop and while there is a lot of excitement for a while,
think of the frenzy we'd be in if we got tidbits "leaked" to us systematically
every week for several months. AND if we could put in preorders!

That's got to be a good thing, we're a bunch of Pavlov's dogs who salivate, er
ah, get out plastic, rather easily.

I suspect most of us could name off some good example orgs that have this down
to an artform, such as Lucasfilm for one.

My wife is going to divorce me for even suggesting this idea, by the way. :-)
Somehow, making a mosaic of her probably won't return me to good graces
either, she hates being photographed.

++Lar