 Administrative / Terms of Use / 178
Re: Theft, Definitive statements vs shaping thoughts(was Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:20:33 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
I guess I'm dismayed that this question even came up. You seem to be asking
when is it OK to steal stuff, in essence. Like I said way back when the price

Larry -- you use the word "steal" here, and "theft" in your subject. This
frames the question in colored terms. In my understanding, violation of
intellectual property rights is not theft under the law. (And is unlike
material theft in several important ways.) Since it is a legal matter that
we're talking about here, it's not helpful to use imperfect analogies.

Asking what the borders of trade secret law are is in essence *very
different* from asking when it is okay to steal.

I'm not advocating violation of trade secret rights, mind you. I just don't
want the discussion distorted by bad terminology.

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/