 Administrative / Terms of Use / 171
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:33:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.terms, James Powell writes:
[...]
Go to: www.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=522 to see exactly what I said.  Either
what (Todd) wrote above is true, or (Todd) should get rid of it, or mark it
as being historic.(1)
[...]

I have added a notice to the /admin/plan/ page which reads:

  Notice:  This is a historical document which outlines site philosophy,
  motivations, directions, intentions, and so forth.  This document does
  not have any bearing on or connection with the Terms of Use Agreement.

Wow! I'm nitpicking but I think you may be swinging too far the other way.

I would change the second sentence a bit to acknowledge that there IS some
bearing and connection, this is a vision (well, not just a vision, a manifesto
because it's intended to be implemented) and the T&C are nuts and bolts.  But
the T&C certainly do support the spirit, vision and intent, wouldn't you say?
They are the practical rules by which the vision is implemented. We want a
pleasant, organised, well behaved place to have fun, as the vision
articulates, and the T&C (as well as editorial control :-) ) are how that
vision gets realised.

If not, that means the T&C go *against* the plan and you've failed your
manifesto. But you haven't failed it. (You haven't *finished *it, and we all
wish you'd hurry up, but a 3 minute egg takes 3 minutes, and not 2, yes?.
Unfinished is not "failed" unless you've blown concrete dates and you were
pretty (shrewdly) hazy on those.)

I just took two paragraphs to say what should be said in one sentence but I'm
too tired to boil it down properly. The way that's written now might be a bit
of overreaction.

++Lar