 Administrative / Suggestions / 130
  lugnet.market.mess

WHEREAS, people who sell LEGO online have been posting their announcements of sales and availability on bricklink.com and elsewhere in any or all of lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, .shopping, and .brickshops; and WHEREAS, the charters for these three (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) NOOOOOOO (especially NOOO...OOO on combining the auction adds in with other adds). I really really would like to see announcements for eBay and BrickLink (and any other high volume site) each in their own group so that I can easily find the (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) Ok, I tend to agree that high-volume sites like eBay and Bricklink need their own groups. I wonder though, what's the big difference between an ad for an auction and a straight sale these days? I understand the difference between an auction (...) (22 years ago, 19-Apr-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) Well, go look at the history of the discussion on auctions for why Todd etal. think of auctions as different. I'm not sure how things are today, but apparently there used to be folks who would have a heart attack if they even heard a hint of (...) (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

I think the big difference was, at the time, that people actually ran their own auctions via e-mail and posting to the .auction group. This produced much more traffic back then compared to just the eBay announcements that we get now. Now we see very (...) (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) I am not sure I would classify the market groups as a mess. There are some charter issues to work on, but the entire hierarchy seems to be well under control lately (and for as long as I can remember offhand). Personally, I favor keeping (...) (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) It would be nice to implement this for all groups that do not explicitly opt for ads. . . (...) Huh? Why make .theory a subgroup of .ads? There's no reason for ads to be posted to theory, except for illustrative purposes. Also, I'd imagine (...) (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) Exactly. However it's sliced, I think there is a need for places to flog, and a need for places to talk about various stores, technologies, theories, etc. .brickshops, to me, is like .theory, .services, and .shipping, a place to talk about (...) (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) What about: .brickshops.admin .brickshops.theory .brickshops.ads Is this getting too compartmentally dorky? And should .brickshops.theory really be part of .market.theory? Just throwing out ideas.... ROSCO (22 years ago, 20-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) Yes to the too compartmentally dorky. Once upon a time all auction stuff went to auctions and all other LEGO commerce went to buy-sell-trade. Now bricklink has outgrown its boots and needs its own commerce group. Something like brickshops.ads (...) (22 years ago, 21-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) This has been said before, BUT experience says that posting a notice on market.bst of something special in a Bricklink shop, produces sales. So, people are responding to those notices who would not otherwise have known the "something special" (...) (22 years ago, 21-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) Except that ads should not be rooted in the same hierarchy as discussion. This raises the same (problem? mistake?) that occurred with announce and announce.moc... web viewing market.brickshops will also show the contents of brickshops.ads My (...) (22 years ago, 21-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) Ah, yes...I wanted to mention this point but forgot. This a big reason I am against just adding more newsgroups. If the new groups are further down in the hierarchy than the one you want to read, the subsequent messages will appear. Move ads (...) (22 years ago, 22-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) I fail to see the problem with .announce.moc - the MOC's are a subset of announcements. There is no discussion in .announce. I agree that they should be separate, but I don't think that's a good analogy. (...) I disagree with the idea of (...) (22 years ago, 22-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) I think for the most part this is already true. (...) That's not what I meant. I am sorry about the ambiguity. Let me rephrase: "Discussions about ebay policies and the like can go in .theory if .auction is made a subgroup of .ads" (...) Yes, (...) (22 years ago, 22-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) Yea, I guess browsing is harder. It's easier with eBay (though perversely, not so easy with German eBay, with US eBay when you look at all LEGO auctions, they are or can be sorted by start date, in German eBay, they are only sorted by ending (...) (22 years ago, 22-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) .announce.moc was CREATED to keep traffic out of .announce. It basically (due to the technology) fails to do that for web users. Point your browser at .announce and you see announce.moc traffic as well. Simple as that... it fails to keep (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.market.mess

(...) I wonder if it's time to change the default. I'm thinking the main place where I would see value is when the subgroups shouldn't really exist in the first place, such as some .loc groups (the way NC works for example, we would actually be (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  lugnet.announce.moc [was: Re: lugnet.market.mess]

(...) I believe the main reason was not so much to avoid that problem, as to keep MOC's from crowding other announcements out of the "top stories" sidebar on the LUGNET home page. I understand that lugnet.announce posts are given automatically (...) (22 years ago, 23-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)

  Re: lugnet.announce.moc [was: Re: lugnet.market.mess]

(...) While that may or may not be true, it's not the reason I was plumping for it at the time. My reasons were as I outlined, to keep dissonance down. But we digress. If I have X type things and Y type things and X is not a kind of Y and Y is not a (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.admin.suggestions)