 Administrative / General / 9419
Re: It is time to ban JAL.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:03:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, James Brown writes:

Just a note here - Frequently, mild obscenity is let slide by because
whenever someone calls the abuser on it, it pretty much invariably turns
into a huge fight.  Slippery slope?  Yup.  Ethically lax of me (and others)
to let it slide?  You betcha.  Worth the fight? Nope.

However, there is a distinct difference in degree between saying "that's a
dumb --- thing to do" and what Jesse posted.

No, there isn't.  Both have exactly the same effect- obsceneties in a Lugnet
post, violating the ToS.

Like I said, I understand that (and understand why) Jessie is unpopular, but
banning him from Lugnet for something that other people have done and not been
banned for is hypocritical to the point of being offensive.

If Jessie is to be banned, then I would expect a similar treatment to be
extended to:

Matthew Gerber
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=30981
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10821

Daniel Jassim
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=10693
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11689
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=11544

Robert Brunskill
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=465

Jan-Albert van Ree
http://news.lugnet.com/market/buy-sell-trade/?n=10672

James Brown (hey, that's you!)
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=5826
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=5780
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=2026
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=927
http://news.lugnet.com/market/jambalaya/?n=502
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=2433
http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=597
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=4948

Tom Stangl
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=419

Tamyra Teed
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=4962

Mike Poindexter
http://news.lugnet.com/market/shopping/?n=2404

Jasper Janssen
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=3949
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=975
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=686

Mike Stanley
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=2104
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=2581
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=1815

John DiRienzo
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=9194

John Neal
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=8873

Ed Jones
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=2675

Tom McDonald
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/fun/?n=1892

"Darth Joules" (who needs to re-read the "real life name" portion of the ToS,
as well)
http://news.lugnet.com/castle/?n=10191

Ronan Webb
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=6966

Andrew Eade
http://news.lugnet.com/legoland/?n=208
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=957

Alexander Johnston
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=12426
http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=11535

Whew!  There's more than I thought there would be, and I'm getting tired of
cutting and pasting. You can find plenty more by just doing a simple search on
"naughty words" in
Lugnet's search engine.  In the interest of full disclosure, my name came up
once too:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8069

But given your talk above about it being "ethically lax" of you to "let it
slide" when someone posts, I was shocked to find that you are one of Lugnet's
biggest pottymouths.  I find your habitual commisions of the same ToS violation
to be FAR MORE offensive than Jessie's.

Perhaps you should move out of your glass house before you decide to begin
casting stones.

eric