 Administrative / General / 9432
Re: It is time to ban JAL.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:12:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Joel Kuester writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes: • <Snipped Banned Topic>

I have spoken with a lot of other AFOLs on this issue outside Lugnet, I know
that even the most strident arguers-with-JAL would accept him if he came
back at some point in the future, thought a little more before he posted and
followed the TOS.  Jesse, do I hope you are still reading, because no one
that I know wants you to go away permanently.

I would not like to see JAL's privileges permanently revoked. His language
does not seem to be a repetitive problem as with other people who regularly
post. I have to admit that what was posted did violate the TOS in a very
vulgar way and that type of language has no place in this type of forum.

I also have to state that I have begun deleting any messages that are from
Jesse without reading them due to their lack of coherent content, or in some
cases relevance to the topic at hand (not to mention the sentence structure
and grammar which have repeatedly been critiqued). .Space has become rather
hostile & noisy lately due to the attitude brought about by his posts -
something that has turned me off from posting lately. However, I do have to
remind myself that there have been other people who have been censured
because of their lack of newsgroup knowledge and have eventually become
contributors to the community.

I can speak for myself as just another average Lugnet member and say that if
he'd simply take part in the discussions in a more positive way I would
welcome him back with open arms.  I don't honestly think (like some do) that
he should have to post pics of his MOCs to be a contributing factor.  It
would be cool, but not neccessary, and since not everyone has the same
experience and skill with building it would be terrible to start judging
people's worth by their MOCs alone.

I do not feel that pictures are necessary to be a part of the LUGNET
community if knowledge of the brick can be passed on in other ways. However,
his assertions about building styles and "constructive criticism" could use
a very different tone. In general they tend to be very condescending and
"uppity". I do not mind negative comments about models if they come from
someone who I respect, but Jesse hasn't earned that respect yet, and won't
until I understand his building style and who he is as a person. I can also
tell you that I will not take the time to suffer through his posts to find
out who he is as a person either - I don't have the time to try and
interpret the meaning behind the words.

I also feel that, while absolutely hilarious, things like Tim's post in .fun
reguarding JAL's poor communication probably belongs in personal emails or
even a public webpage off Lugnet.  JAL deserves whatever he gets because he
causes a lot of problems, but that shouldn't turn Lugnet into a place where
people with chemical imbalances and mental problems like ADHD are publically
laughed at.

We should all be as understanding as possible with JAL if Todd and Suz allow
him to return, but he still earned this, IMHO.  I feel that (especially with
all the attention Lugnet has been getting lately) it is very important for
the Admins to enforce the TOS, they don't require much to follow!

People need to be aware that when something is posted, it is there for a
*very* long time. The post doesn't go away (completely). This is also a
forum that is read by children. Jesse has apologized and I feel that after a
day or so, he should be allowed to contribute to the community again. I hope
that we haven't turned him off from the LEGO community by our (arguably
justifiable) harsh responses as "We are a community which never sleeps — and
has been called 'the friendliest place on the Internet.'"

cheers!
Joel K

Just how friendly have we been lately? Something to think about....

-Duane