 Off-Topic / Fun / 1892
Re: The Daily Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:07:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Tom McDonald wrote:

<snip. I love it when an expert gets wound up on stuff, you learn a lot
of neat stuff about the ins and outs of a particular biz. Thanks, Tom!>

Sorry. It kinda was a bitch and moan session, but not above everyone's heads I
think. I've been noticing that websites are a lot like radio stations. Maybe I
should have posted to off-topic.geek - that could include radio geeks, right?
I'll have to reread that group's charter.

Many types of broadcasting have been attempted and there is nothing new • under
the sun. The hard part of this poor programming tactic is that it *will*
decrease ratings eventually, and therefore cume.

Is that a word?

Industry slang. Sorry. Cume (pronounced "kyewm", also pronounced like the
second syllable in "vacuum" ;) roughly stands for cumulative audience, measured
in increments from quarter-hours to whole hours, depending on the time of day.
This figure is used in sales to represent an amount of audience listening to
your station as compared to the potential audience listening to radio in
general. Cume is a higher numerical figure than rating points, as ratings can
be based on time/audience measurements longer than an hour, as in maybe a whole
show or daypart.

"We're back into over 1000 pieces of continuous unofficial Lego building here
on your more building website, lugnet.com. Here's Gary Istok and The
Cathedrals!"

-Tom McD.
when replying, note that a spamcake is just like a commercial.