 Administrative / General / 4902
Re: Suggested Change in Charter for ALL Lugnet Theme Groups.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:41:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Sybrand Bonsma writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
As many people object to auction announcements in theme-group I think it is
better to keep them in market.auction and let the people who want to bid on
something do a bit more work to keep noise in the theme-groups minimal.

Not only do most people object to allowing this - but the only people I've
seen who are for it are potential *sellers*, not buyers.

Furthermore, this goes against what Todd said:
"It was never the intention for the welcoming to occur by any
means other than newsgroup charters.  (In other words, the participants in
a given newsgroup cannot just get together all of a sudden and decide that
auction spam is welcome in that newsgroup.)"
ref: http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=4885

One man's spam, is another's lunchean meat.

Auction posts of any kind are not welcome in theme groups, and by changing
this, even slightly, you'll cause even more grey areas then are now. Your
suggested rules and restrictions will be very easy to go around (intentionally
or otherwise) and will cause even more confusion and friction than there is
now.

In what way?

I don't see any reason for changing the theme groups' charter. In your
original post, Scott, you did not give one reason for this. Why would we want
this? If you have reasons, please mention them. Right now, I can't figure out
any good things coming out of this other than the benefits of private auction
sellers.

To ensure buyers are fully aware of what is available. If this change was to
come into action, it would put private auctions on a par with private sales.
Nothing more.