 Administrative / General / 4947
Re: Suggested Change in Charter for ALL Lugnet Theme Groups.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:26:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
Auction posts of any kind are not welcome in theme groups, and by changing
this, even slightly, you'll cause even more grey areas then are now. Your
suggested rules and restrictions will be very easy to go around • (intentionally
or otherwise) and will cause even more confusion and friction than there is
now.

In what way?

1. It will create more work for the admin council who by your suggestion
have to preapprove these auction posts.

I notice you choose to ignore this objection.  I'lla dd that it also
creates a lot more work for Todd.

What exactly is the benefit of this suggestion?  Very little as far as I
can see.  It creates a method for a small group of people to advertise in
groups that may or may not want their advertising.  I can't see that such
a thing would help when entire groups exist for the sole purpose of
advertising to a self-selected group of people who *want* to buy your
items.

2. It will create confusion and friction because people will say, "Why
can't I put my eBay auctions on then?  It's all castle sets!"

No comments here, either?

3. It will cause friction from the people who don't want to see auction
announcements at all.

Filter them out

Why should I have to?

Or, to put it another way, I'm *choosing* to 'filter them out' by not
reading lugnet.market.auction.  Why should I have to do more work to get a
secondary filter in place?

I don't see any reason for changing the theme groups' charter. In your
original post, Scott, you did not give one reason for this. Why would we • want
this? If you have reasons, please mention them. Right now, I can't figure • out
any good things coming out of this other than the benefits of private • auction
sellers.

To ensure buyers are fully aware of what is available. If this change was to
come into action, it would put private auctions on a par with private sales.
Nothing more.

If the "buyers" want to know what is available, they should be subscribed
to .market.auction.  If I'm subscribed to .auction, I'll see it.  If I'm
not, then I'm obviously not interested in auctions, am I?  So why should I
have to wade through auction announcements in .castle?

I don't think private sales should be posted in theme groups either.  I
haven't been following this discussion closely so I don't know if its come
up that these types of posts are allowed...but personally, I think sales
should be subject to exactly the same rules as auctions,

I agree 100%.

That's one thing, anyway.  *Are* sales being trated differently than
auctions, and in what way?

and I'd rather
see that mean sale posts restricted to .bst rather than allowing *any*
auction posts in theme groups.

And I think its significant that *nobody* has apparently come forward and
said, "Yes, speaking as a buyer, I want to see auction/sale announcements
in the theme groups."  That to me says that buyers would rather have them
in .auction and .bst, whatever the sellers want.

But that does not mean that that opinion does not exist?

I think it means that nobody has cared enough to express the opinion.

If someone feels strongly that auction and sale announcements *should*
be allowed in theme groups I say to them: "speak now or forever hold
your peace."