 Administrative / General / 13247
Re: Lugnet's Problem? (was Re: Moonbase Module - Mech Bay 07)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:44:21 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello!

and this deserves a spotlight because???????

While Keith's post was funny and while nobody can resist a bare chested
Charleton Heston and while Planet of the Apes rocks and while Lugnet is a
madhouse, a madhouse, I actually thought exactly that: "...and this deserves a
spotlight because?"

What does the spotlight function do? If a post gets enough spotlights (depending
on the newsgroup the respective message is posted to) it's hove up to the Lugnet
homepage. So far so good. However, do people who spotlight a post like this
really intend to have this post displayed on Lugnet's homepage?

What's the sense in that? People come to Lugnet, look at the highlighted posts
for they wanna know what's worthy of mention (maybe some great new MOC, maybe
some important news from the LEGO company) and they find.. what? Some - be it
funny - post that doesn't have much meaning to it at all if you haven't read the
entire thread. And frankly, is the entire thread worthy to be highlighted? (I'm
not in the position to decide that, nor have I read even half of it. Just my
impression from what I read is: It's not.)

So I'd like to see people act more reasonably when it comes to spotlighting. If
you think some post is cool, funny, great in its own right then there is a
"reply" function. Hit "reply" and just say "hey, that's funny, cool, great." But
please think before doing anything. For example ponder the value or non-value of
highlighting just everything. It's certainly unecessary having seceral posts
from one and the same thread being highlighted on Lugnet's homepage, thus
overgrowing the *really* important things.

~~~~ and off again.

Jojo