 Trains / 16831
Re: New Santa Fe Car Sets #10022 and #10025
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 19:47:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Williams writes:

Hmmm. Every model I've seen of the Super Chief has had the stripes.

And every model you've seen is incorrectly modeling the prototype... ;-)

http://www.midwestnpioneer.org/timetable/fallenflags/superchief.html

(that's the page that John Neal dug up that I referred to in my post)

No stripes on the prototype.  This has been discussed before. I agree that
models *can* look good with stripes. I'm *glad* LD left them out though, and
I'd prefer that they try to be as prototypical as possible in their efforrts
whenever possible. We can make changes as we like. But let's not foster
incorrect stuff among the mundanes, eh? Let LD get it right and then we can
change it if we want.

Since I
haven't researched the prototype, maybe the designers of the models had used
too much "poetic license". Maybe other trains of the time didn't have the
same decorating scheme.

Varies all over the map. Name trains of the time often had unique schemes or
at least different schemes than their more ordinary counterparts. Stripes,
bands, all stainless, you name it. All had SOME prototype. (anything you can
imagine probably had a prototype somewhere)

But we're talking about SUPER CHIEF(tm) cars, not random ATSF cars or random
"some other line" cars. Best evidence seems to be that they had no stripe.
Remember that the warbonnets usually were run in ABBA config so there was no
stripe to continue!... the trailing loco was run nose last so the thing that
faced the consist was the red cab end.

As far as the windows being too large, I'm not into "scale modeling" (please
use a loose definition as I know Lego is not scale). I prefer to capture the
essence which may more be only in my mind. The gray windows look fine in the
Metroliner.

Agreed, they look fine in a more modern (and more european in derivation)
passenger train. But the smaller ones look better here. More prototypical.
Plus this brings out a part that was hard to come by instead of a part
that's already available in bulk. You can buy bulk grey windows and change
yours to suit. It's LEGO(r)!!!! Be happy they chose NOT to use these
windows. We get more parts.

Hope that helps.