 Trains / 16827
Re: New Santa Fe Car Sets #10022 and #10025
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 16:35:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Williams writes:
In lugnet.trains, René Hoffmeister writes:

this is interesting for train fans:

http://www.b-o-a.de/01.jpg

There will be two new sets for the Santa Fe Train available in September:

#10022; 411 pieces; $34.99: For building a Dining Car, Observation Car _OR_
Sleeping Car

#10025; 326 pieces; $34.99: For building a Mail Car _OR_ a Baggage Car

I'm surprised no one has commented on the incomplete color schemes. The cars
of Sante Fe passenger cars match the color scheme of the engine (War
Bonnet). These cars are missing the yellow and red stripes along the sides.
Not big issue, mind you. Easily remedied by a purchase of bulk plates.

I'm not sure they actually *are* missing those stripes. Many pictures of
typical ATSF stock from the period show them to be all stainless. For
instance the ATSF Super Chief reference that John has posted a few times
does not show stripes IIRC.

However I agree, I'd probably add stripes anyway even if they are not
prototypical.

To me, these pictures look more like pre-production models than what will
actually be available at retail. I can't see Lego not using the gray train
windows that are so plentiful.

Why? Those windows are too large for American practice, they go better with
european stock (this despite the fact that I use them in two of my american
models, MTW-3001 and MTW-3002 as passenger windows and in MTW-2001 as cab
side windows).... I'm GLAD they're going to be using thin walls which are
handy for many applications and have been scarce.

++Lar

Hmmm. Every model I've seen of the Super Chief has had the stripes. Since I
haven't researched the prototype, maybe the designers of the models had used
too much "poetic license". Maybe other trains of the time didn't have the
same decorating scheme.

As far as the windows being too large, I'm not into "scale modeling" (please
use a loose definition as I know Lego is not scale). I prefer to capture the
essence which may more be only in my mind. The gray windows look fine in the
Metroliner.