 Space / 32267
Re: Trainhead gives space a whirl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:22:11 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw wrote:
   Perhaps a container size/connection standard would be a fun thing to explore...get some other builders designing with it in mind?

This would be terrific. That’s what I’m hoping for. I like the design of this style of container, but I think a bit smaller might make more sense. Also, I used the axles just because of the mounting design I used inside the warehouse (the pins didn’t hold the top containers like I’d hoped). I will probably try to redesign this after the upcoming show. I like the idea of using pings much better than axles.

I would love to have a container standard for moonbase (or even space freighter) applications. It lends itself to a .Space container swap at large gatherings. :-)

One other cool thing about this container size is that it butts up against the Moonbase corridors perfectly. You can imagine containers hanging off empty connectors on a display where modules aren’t hooked into other modules.

I didn’t catch that, but way cool! What better way to unload containers than to drop them off at an airlock and pick them up later? I could almost imagine moonbase distribution centers with multiple airlocks along the sides for all of the cargo containers to be loaded/unloaded. Hmm... Interesting....

   Anyone else have any ideas?

   Looking forward to the other creations.

Yeah.... me too... I’m running out of time before our show!

   Welcome to .space...where no one can hear you giggle like someone giggling about being in .space

Heh, thanks! And thanks for the inspiration!

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP