 Space / 32271
Re: Trainhead gives space a whirl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:34:08 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I envision a remotely located moonbase evolving slowly.  As more
equipment and supplies arrive the cargo containers are re-used as parts
of the base.

I made these a while back and hauled examples to brickshelf last year :

It's a cargo container that can actually be used to connect moonbase
corridors together.  The end caps come off and the body of the container
can then attach to standard moonbase flanges.

I looked at the existing train cargo containers, but decided that they
were too small.  I tried to model this on on the TEU "twenty foot
equivalent unit" cargo containers used by international shipping
companies like Maersk, etc.

It's as I could get to the correct dimensions in Minifig scale. and
still work with the 48x48 baseplates.  With the endcaps removed a TEU is
16 studs long, so 3 will span a moonbase plate.  With some simple
adapters and removing the knockouts in the sides of middle TEU, two more
can be added to make an X connector.

Here's a few more pics :

An X moonbase connector

A single-floor habitat super module

I also had some cargo-cabs and engine modules at brickfest that
would be used to bring containers up/down from interstellar barges which
stay in orbit.  I'm not sure if I have any pics of those : (

-JSM

JP RIGNAULT wrote:

Any MoonBase builder would have a word / recommandation to say about how
should a standard container be?