 Space / 32259
Re: Trainhead gives space a whirl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:21:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jake McKee wrote:
   Yeah, yeah, I know I’ve been into trains for quite some time. But after months and months of saying things like “I almost build space stuff”, an upcoming LEGO show here in Dallas has prompted me to finally build some space stuff.

Welcome to .space Jake! And, way to join in with a splash(1)!

Snip, but I must say that I’m impressed by the research and links you’ve included. Your post is, in itself, an excellent introduction to .space.

   Behold... space based intermodal! Using standardized containers, the warehouse module stores the containers. Soon to be built ships move the containers between worlds. And soon to be built space trains move the containers around the moonbase.

Soon to be built? No wonder my space shipment has been held up. They keep blaming some guy named Tibor every time I call them to track the package. Ah well, at least I know it’s not lost in space.

But seriously, that’s a couple of great designs with a fine attention to detail. I have to go look some more when I get the chance. I really like the surveillance cams, though they do look a little sheepish. ;-)

I have to say that due to time and so much amazing prior art, I was heavily influenced by the other terrific space builders. There’s probably not enough database space on LUGNET to mention all those that I drew inspiration from. Instead, I’ll say thanks to those of you who might see your design elements in these creations!

I think that much of the fun here occurs when people re-use, re-purpose and re-interpret the designs of others. I really enjoy the mutual influence that happens here. And now you’re part of it. I may have to build some containers of my own. As for standards, I think that a couple of different (competing?) standards would spice things up a bit...

Peace and shipping,

Professor Whateverly

(1) To make a real splash, however, you’d have to go to Neptune’s Moon Lagoon