 Space / 32299
32298  |  32300
Subject:
Design questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:52:40 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:
That went fairly quick, and I still had way too many gray bricks left.
Lucky you... But thats not the topic today.

Behold... space based intermodal! Using standardized containers, the warehouse
module stores the containers. Soon to be built ships move the containers between
worlds. And soon to be built space trains move the containers around the
moonbase.
Great design! As I worked on a container system for moonbase, too (yes,
I'm not only into castle), I am interested on some details of the design:

1. How do you handle stacking of containers? I failed to see tiles on
top of the containers, so stacking could cause problems. A photo of the
underside of the containers and of the position where a container is
placed would be helpful, too.

2. The crane with the extendable section is very nice, but, sadly, there
is the important part missing: How do you grab the containers?

3. What exactly ist the purpose of the 32064s (Brick 1x2 with technic
axlehole) on the small sides?

My concerns over your design come from my own design experiences with
space containers, where one design goal was to build the parts in a way
to allow automated handling, i.e. loading an unloading of containers
with RCX-controlled cranes to provide an animated scenario. Therefor my
questions over the missing tiles and the axlehole-bricks, both of which
are points of (unwanted) friction that could cause simple automated
systems to fail.

Yours, Christian Treczoks