 Space / 32226

Subject:
Trainhead gives space a whirl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:02:26 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Yeah, yeah, I know I’ve been into trains for quite some time. But after months and months of saying things like “I almost build space stuff”, an upcoming LEGO show here in Dallas has prompted me to finally build some space stuff.

I got primed by building Jon Palmer’s Scumcraft - Great model.

Then I moved to Allister McLaren’s Starsky & Hutch Hovercar - This looks really nice when done.

After having drooled over this Apollo Lander viewing module for a long time, I decided to build one of my own.

Apollo Lander Moonbase module

That went fairly quick, and I still had way too many gray bricks left. So after seeing Keith Goldman’s Mech Bay, and being a train guy at heart, I devised a scenario integrating trains and space.

Behold... space based intermodal! Using standardized containers, the warehouse module stores the containers. Soon to be built ships move the containers between worlds. And soon to be built space trains move the containers around the moonbase.

Intermodal Warehouse Moonbase module

Container Design: Photo -- LDraw file

I have to say that due to time and so much amazing prior art, I was heavily influenced by the other terrific space builders. There’s probably not enough database space on LUGNET to mention all those that I drew inspiration from. Instead, I’ll say thanks to those of you who might see your design elements in these creations!

I’m hoping to get two more modules done (as well as a ship and train) by show time... but we’ll see. The modules would be pretty basic: a landing platform for the container ship, and a combo parking lot/gift shop for the Lunar Lander museum.

Anyway, your thoughts and feedback are much welcomed! I still have some touch-up and finalization to do to both modules.

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP
http://www.bricksonthebrain.com

Re: Trainhead gives space a whirl
Behold... space based intermodal! Using standardized containers, the • warehouse
module stores the containers. Soon to be built ships move the containers • between
worlds. And soon to be built space trains move the containers around the
moonbase.

[<http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/photoblog/index.cfm?action=thumbs&gallery=
39
Intermodal Warehouse Moonbase module>]