 Space / 1936
Re: My NEW Lego site!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:00:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Mark Sandlin wrote:
In lugnet.space, Matthew Moulton writes:
Doesn't it seem odd though that in Star Trek things blow up and make
all sorts of cool noises...I mean, I though space was a vacuum.
I'm willing to forgive the "noises in space" just because it makes the TV
shows/Movies more exciting.

Yah, that and the fact that space *isn't* a vacuum.  There is an extremely
small amount of gas and dust per cubic meter in yer average space.  This
amount increases near stars and plantery bodies, which are constantly ejecting
gases and dust.  And then the amount really increases near an exploding
spaceship, for hopefully obvious reasons.  And if enough of these chunks of
debris hits the hull of *your* ship, you'll definitely hear something.

Too bad for Star Trek, though -- the matter from the explosion has to reach
your ship before you hear it.  Depending upon your distance from the
explosion, the "sound" could actually be delayed for weeks.  :-P

Cheers,
- jsproat

You need me to use the puppets to explain this, don't you?
  - Dr. Schlock