 Pirates / 1726
Re: Weekend of LEGO Pirate Games!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.games, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:31:00 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:

I'm not sure if it's worth chucking just because we only have 6 players.

If we can put something together with 6-10 players, I'm still wildly interested
in playing.  But the nature of the thing changes substantially.

It does suggest we don't want to pay for Steve Jackson to come (however,

The venue I had in mind was open to us because it would be worth it for the
shop to host the event if we were bringing Steve Jackson.  Without His
presense, we may not have a location.  When I was closely affiliated (grad
student, full-time staff, committee member, etc.) with the University of
Missouri, it would have been trivial to obtain playspace.  Is anyone out there
so affiliated and able to grab up space (even if they're currently on another
continent...hint...hint)?

I am a student and employee at Frostburg St. University in western MD. Would
this be an acceptable location? Frostburg is right off an interstate (68),
but the nearest real airport may be Pittsburgh. Let me know if you guys want
me to look into getting space - I really want this to happen!

-Marc Nelson Jr.

if he wanted to come on his own, that would be cool). I'd love some more
opportunities to run the game, and 6 players would be enough to at least
have a game. We would just be changing the focus of the event to either
a general gaming event (with perhaps some Brickwars thrown in). I
suspect that if we had the game going, that we would get some drop ins
from the gaming crowd. Note that Steve Jackson has run the game very
successefully at SF and Gaming cons with almost no LEGO fan base. Of
course getting 20-30 players from a 500+ member con (not sure about the
sizes of the various cons) is a lot easier than getting 10-15 players
from a 50-100 person gaming event.

Which is why we need to line it up in advance.

Another thing for us to consider is whether we're willing to speculatively
gamble that we'll get enough players.  Some smallish group of us could fund
Steve's participation, thus opening the original venue, and be "paid back" out
of the revenue from the event.  If we set it up this way, I suspect that the
shop (keeper) would participate in the gamble.

Another factor is that many folks don't start committing until about a
month or so before an event like this (how many people were signed up
for Brickfest 2000 by the middle of March?).

Maybe so.  But unless someone is willing to fund it at a risk, how do things
happen?  It must be planned in the next couple of weeks, or let go.  The
important shop folks are in Las Vegas for the GAMA trade show, I'm on vacation
to Ohio for half of April, and by then time will just all be gone.  Plane fare
will increase, Steve's calender may fill, more notice to potential players
means better ability to commit, etc.

Of course another factor is that we are awfully close in time frame to
Brickfest. Perhaps it would work better to do it in the fall (and to
some extent, for Lindsay's new found friends on the other side of the
pond, I would be inclined to reccomend they come to Brickfest over
Piratefest, I think if I was buying a ticket to Europe I would want to
be going to a fairly general type event, though of course a very
specific type event would also be good).

I think it depends on their goals.  It will be hard to get 30 hours of
piratefesting in at Brickfest because there will be so much other stuff to do.
I know a couple who fly to London for dinner once a year.  My mind boggles at
the conspicuity of the consumption, but whatever.  My point is that for some,
flying to the NYC area isn't that big a deal.  Another option would be to push
it back even closer to Brickfest so that visitors could make a longer vacation
of it.  I'm not sure how that works for the rest of us, but it might actually
be better.  (eg Frank, you could do Piratefest, head up to Boston for a few
days, and back down to DC for Brickfest.)

Oh, and the carpet is that short dense commercial stuff in a neutral color...it
isn't blue.

For a less formal thing, we could meet at my house and sail on the lawn!
Actually, that's a dumb idea for a pirate game.  But our property (1.7 rocky
wooded acres) has great terrain for land-based brickwars type events.  Hmmm...

Chris