 Organizations / United States / 194
Re: Unified UK Lego community idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:21:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Richard Franks writes:
[...]
Going back to the database idea, mainly for curiousity, and also because
if you ever wanted to implement something like the shop information for
/loc/us/ then it could soon become impractical to edit manually. I don't
think that there is *that* much manual editing required for the UK,
although we do have 4 levels as opposed to the 3 in /loc/us/, but mainly
because there isn't as much data to be sourced.

Could you define a database like:
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?d=shops

I like that line of reasoning -- and the "d=<name>" format is also perfect
for specifying a database name as it allows for any number of named databases,
just as "n=<num>" allows for any number of numbered news articles, "p=<name>"
allows for any number of named pages, and "m=<id>" allows for any number of
member IDs.

Would it be feasible (with editing priviledges), and assuming the data was
sorted alphabetically, to maintain that simple shopping database like:

-=-=-=-
[/loc/uk/sc/lo/edb/?p=happy, "Happy Toys, Morningside"],
[/loc/uk/sc/lo/edb/?p=tru, "Toys R US, Some Retail Park"],
[/loc/uk/sc/sc/gl/?p=beatties, "Beatties, St Enoch"],
[/loc/uk/sc/sc/gl/?p=toystack, "Toystack, St Enoch"],
[/loc/uk/sc/sc/gl/?p=tru1, "Toys R US, Forge Retail Park"],
[/loc/uk/sc/sc/gl/?p=tru2, "Toys R US, Queen Street"],
[...etc...];
-=-=-=-

I'll hafta zencogitate on this for a few days.

So that in /loc/uk/, you could have something functionally equivalent to:
   {Shops in this Area} <</loc/uk/?d=shops&q=/loc/uk>>

and in /loc/uk/sc/lo/,
   {Shops in this Area} <</loc/uk/?d=shops&q=/loc/uk/sc/lo>>

Since the new website restructuring earlier in the year, I've wanted to have
everything be more channel-based -- not like the "channels" buzzwords in the
web industry, but like lanes on a wide road...  The idea is that, as a user
browsing the system, you could "be" in one "lane," and browse around, and
then switch to a different lane and browse around more from that angle.  The
lanes would be things like:  news, faqs, members, databases, etc.

So I would probably make "?d=shops" (or some other more general name) be a
full-fledged "lane" or "channel" in the system, where the "shops" database
occurred throughout (i.e., site-wide).  In other words, "?d=shops" wouldn't
be specific to the /loc/uk/ hierarchy, but if you were in that area, then
that's what subset of it you'd see.  So the URLs would actually come out
simpler, like this:

   All shops in Lothian        http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/sc/lo/?d=shops
   All shops in Scotland       http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/sc/?d=shops
   All shops in the UK         http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?d=shops
   All shops in the world      http://www.lugnet.com/loc/?d=shops

Once you started browsing shops, the "?d=shops" portion of the URL would
automatically stay there until you switched to some other channel (or lane
or database)

It could work similarly for LEGO sets,

   All Islanders sets          http://www.lugnet.com/pirates/islanders/?d=sets
   All Pirates sets            http://www.lugnet.com/pirates/?d=sets
   All LEGO sets               http://www.lugnet.com/?d=sets

(These would just be simple browsing-based access mechanisms into the
databases; there could still be fancier mechansisms, of course, for doing
more complicated queries and merging trees and things like that.)

   All LEGO sets with          http://www.lugnet.com/?d=sets&q=truck
   "truck" in the name

   Anything in the any         http://www.lugnet.com/?d=*,q=truck
   database with "truck"

I think this could be a pretty powerful organizational tool for many types
of data, especially if it had optional fuzzy categories, because it combines
RDBMS, OODBMS, and HDBMS paradigms all into one.

There are a couple (!) of issues with this:
+ An i= parameter would be nice to specify the search index

Yup -- like "n=" in the news database gives a specific numeric index, "i="
could give a specific named- or numeric-ID index.  "q=" will probably always
stay as a fuzzy "query" search (not exactly an index).

Makes me wonder if the "p=xxx" stuff should go instead as "d=yyy&i=xxx".
That would generalize things nicely.  Along that line of thought, the news
stuff "n=xxx" _could_ even go instead as "d=news&i=xxx" (but probably with
automatic transparent URL rewriting for backward compatability).

The spotlight stuff could work nicely as "d=spotlight", whereby the following
would happen almost for free:

   Auction spotlight     http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?d=spotlight
   Pirates spotlight     http://www.lugnet.com/pirates/?d=spotlight
   Scotland spotlight    http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/sc/?d=spotlight
   UK spotlight          http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?d=spotlight
   Everything spotlight  http://www.lugnet.com/?d=spotlight

+ A database management file would probably also be useful, specifying any
  template page to put the retrieved information into, index names etc

Yeah, this is probably exactly what to head toward.  I grok you and totally
agree.  Now I just need to go zen in a cave for 3 days and think about the
details of the general implementation more.

+ Techically possible to have a database 'file' and 'entry' box in normal
  page editing. Allowing you to create a new page whereever and
  automatically include it in the database - frilly but non-vital.

Kind of like the index.html paradigm...  :-)

+ It would be nice to be able to do something like:

http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/sc/lo/?d=/loc/uk/shops&q=/loc/uk/sc/lo

Then be able to edit the /loc/uk/shops database, but only see the relevant
items to the part of the hierarchy that you were in.

Yup -- except the URL would probably be like this instead:

   http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/sc/lo?d=shops

and right from there, if you had editor privs to that area, you could make
the changes right from your web browser.

So I think a database would be nice, because then you can do searches
without trawling through the entire hierarchy. Oh, and also because things
like the 'Local Shops' link could be automated. I'm not going to plague
Todd to implement one though - I'm just throwing ideas around :) But if
he'd like a hand..

I think you've just set off a positive thought-chain-reaction in my brain,
which is helping make a few previously hazy design-gaps much more clear.
(Thanks!)

Besides, we can do about 90% of the things we've discussed as soon as we
get someone able to edit /loc/uk/!

Yea, even with the current interactive editing system that available right
now, you could do quite a bit.  It's got a tiny bit of a learning curve, and
still has some fussy quirks, but it's pretty easy to get used to, I think.

I'm in danger of sounding sycophantic if I say exactly how cool I think
this whole mechanism sounds!

Well, I'm glad to hear it.  I'll take it to mean that I'm probably still
on the right track...  :-)

In the "true database" sense, yeah, it's in the more distant future.

Ooops, I forgot reading that :) Oh well, there shouldn't be too much harm
in discussing it?

No, not at all...in fact, it's all 50% clearer to me now...(thanks again).

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.database]