 Local / United Kingdom / 1986
Re: Unified UK Lego community idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:18:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Todd Lehman writes:

[...]
If there was a site with this kind of information, it would be convenient
not just for tourists, but also for us British AFOLs too...
[...]

I can help you here right now -- very minimal overhead.  If you guys want to
pick someone to volunteer to maintain links & things, I'll give them editor
permissions to the whole /loc/uk/ hierarchy, and they can put information
onto the local UK LUGNET webpages right from their web browser.

That sounds yummy! One big question I have is how we are going to tie it in
nicely with LUGNET. Or rather, how much (if any) of the information we have
described would be more appropriate if it were held on LUGNET? While we don't
want to impose data upon LUGNET, there is no point maintaining data on another
host if we don't need to!

I have the impression that LUGNET intends to evolve a more active web appendage
and that (and the long-term-plan) implies storing more static type information
- possibly similar to what we would store on UKLUG. So I'm inquiring really,
does LUGNET want to store any of the things we've discussed? (Todd - an "I
don't know yet,", or a "Let me think about it,", is fine!)

Out of the things roughly pencilled in for inclusion on a web-site at present:

+ Shopping
  Min: Website URL
  Max: Website URL, contact info, geographical location, stock,
       comments/reviews.

  One thing that I think we could implement with minimal LUGNET interaction,
  is have a 'Shops in this area' link on loc.uk, loc.uk.sc, loc.uk.sc.gr, etc.
  This could call a CGI script on the UKLUG site, which would bring up a list
  of shops in each area. Ie - UKLUG would maintain its own database.

  I know that LUGNET intends to store *some* retailer information, but I'm
  not clear on exactly what that is or when.

  If LUGNET would like to store something near the 'max' list sometime in the
  future then we could design our database in conjunction with Todd to make
  it compatible. Else we could maintain it upon LUGNET without UKLUG?

  Possibly UKLUG would be more suited to maintaining a 'Current Good Offers'
  page, as I don't see how that would fit into the LUGNET heirarchy neatly.

  What sort of information on shops do you want to store Todd? And when? :)

+ People
  Min: Name, Webpage.
  Max: Name, Webpage, email, geographical location, interests, comments in
       lieu of a webpage, shoe size etc.

  It is probably more appropriate for UKLUG to hold this information. But then,
  would LUGNET allow casual users (non-members) to input their geographical
  location and contact URL? If so, LUGNET *could* be used to group us - one of
  the main reasons for something like UKLUG.

  Whereever the data is hosted, it would be nice to have a 'People in this
  Area' link, under the shopping one!

+ Events
  While actual pictures of events and reviews are probably better on
  individuals sites, for each event there are usually >1 person hosting
  pictures - somewhere there should be a collection of these links to
  peoples sites. UKLUG/LUGNET?

+ Lego Contacts
  This seems logically placed within LUGNET. Although there isn't anywhere to
  put such information yet :)

+ UK FAQ
  Just thought of this - is there a need? Or would everything else cover it?

I'm quite prepared for a "Just links, me thinks, thanks." reply, but again - if
any of the database stuff is intended for LUGNET in the distant future then it
makes sense to hack out the format now, to allow for easier integration.

Finally, about the loc.uk links maintainer - anyone keen? I'd be happy to do
it, but it could make more sense for Simon D to do it if he's doing UKLUG?

Urgh, that's enough for one nigh...erk! Morning.

Richard