 Local / United Kingdom / 1935
Re: Unified UK Lego Web Page/Community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:12:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Richard Franks writes:
Cool! It appears that I've stumbled across something already thought of :)

It's mine - you can't have it!! :-0

By pane do you mean table or frame? Do you mean that if you clicked upon a
entertainer web-site link, then it would appear in the bottom frame, with the
UKLUG top frame remaining?

I mean a version 3 compliant frame.  Tables were just too difficult for what I
want to create.

This sounds good! Maybe shopping could move from the top bar to the left panel
as well?

I'll create a working mock-up to demostrate what I mean.

Lets see how well my brain works this early in the morning, and if I can
integrate the spotlight-hierarchy idea :) How does this look?
-Shopping
-Static Information - Busy Bee, Entertainer, etc;
-Links to (x) last spotlighted shopping reports
-breakdown to countries, and then regions, poss not as far as towns/cities
-Stuart Curtis had a cool idea which could fit right here
-Events
-LegoFESTs
-Current (Details, directions, trading info etc)
-Past (reviews, stories, pictures etc)
-Local (shouldn't need too much of a hierarchy for this)
-People
-Entire List
-Hierarchy by country, region and/or Smiley Map
-Lego Contacts

Where ever the hierarchy is mentioned, I'm thinking of something inspired by
Lugnet where if you selected Scotland, you'd see shops in Strathclyde and
Lothian (etc), and if you selected Lothian you'd see fewer shops, and if there
was an Edinburgh to click upon you'd probably just see those shops in
Edinburgh.
If some geographical hierarchy is implemented then it'd be nice to select an
area, and be able to see the shops and people nearby.

Sounds good but that would take ages to implement - unless someone else wants
to take it - make it a group effort.

Although, is this the sort of thing that Lugnet would ultimately want to
achieve?

Unknown.

Is there any other type of information that should be on the site, that we
haven't thought of yet?

Probably, it'll evolve.

I have to admit that I can't quite picture loc.uk getting swamped with
messages, and obviously the thing you want to avoid is *missing* out on
something important because you didn't subscribe to some more localised group!
The website will hopefully contain most of the vital information..

Well we should just ban the US imposters subscribed to our newsgroup that'll
cut down the traffic.

Do freenames allow cgi - or can they redirect to another site that does? • Useful
for things like showing all people in Ireland who want to trade trains.

Unknown, haven't signed up yet.

Carbon 60