 Local / United Kingdom / 2132
Re: Unified UK Lego Web Page/Community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.loc.it
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:34:58 GMT

In lugnet.loc.it, Simon Denscombe writes:
Mario Ferrari wrote:
Thank guys! We're very glad you liked our ItLUG site. We consider the design
phase not yet finished, but the idea is definitely there.

I like the logo - it was the right choice out of the 2, quite simple but
cool.

Thanks. We are still discussing whether to change the blue brick into a green
brick to make it more Italian :-)

BTW, an other item that could be useful is a glossary for those acronyms
like BURP, FOTW etc. We plan to insert one in our site.

There is already a website with all of those around somewhere - do a
search for rtlspeak.  Saves you having to find meanings to the more
obscure words.

Thanks again. I'm going to look for it.

Mario (...who dreams of an European Legofest sooner or later...)

That would be brilliant - we would see a huge language problem I guess.

I don't agree on this point. Almost everybody in the Italian newsgroup speaks a
good English, well... I mean something you're expected to understand :-) And
I've been in touch with many other Lego fans from almost every European country
always using English. If you lurk at the German newsgroup there's plenty of
messages in Englis. When I write to Eric Brok (NL), Laurentino Martins (P) or
many others I use English.

The main problem I see is about the location. We should find a place close to
the "center of gravity" of the participants to minimize the trips. I imagine it
could be in France, Paris or around there, but there are so few French people
active on LUGNET we might have problems in finding the necessary logistic
support.

Anyway, I have a European Legofest in mind because it's been so great to meet
many Lugnetters in person at the Mindfest, and I'd love to repeat this kind of
experience without necessarily flying overseas.

We should find a proper newsgroup where to discuss this topic (Todd, any
suggestion?). Every local newsgroup could nominate a delegate to represent its
country during the discussion, just to keep the signal/noise ratio to an
acceptable level.

And see what happens.

Mario