 Local / United Kingdom / 1920
Re: Unified UK Lego Web Page/Community?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:23:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Denscombe writes:

I'm thinking of registering www.uklug.org.uk - has anyone been to
www.itlug.org ?  That's brilliant and the same sort of thing I want to
do.  I've got a prototype logo done in POV-RAY - anyone is welcome to do
a superior one.

Cool! It appears that I've stumbled across something already thought of :)

Hope that's clear, the top pane will have some vital links, Entertainer,
Busy-Bee, loc.uk and a few other shops that have appeared online as well
as a way back to the main UKLUG site.  When a link on the top pane is
clicked the destination web page will replace the two panes at the
bottom which are UKLUG specific.

By pane do you mean table or frame? Do you mean that if you clicked upon a
entertainer web-site link, then it would appear in the bottom frame, with the
UKLUG top frame remaining?

Ideas for left pane links:

Map
LEGOFest details:
Links to past Fest photos which are quite spread out, details of past
Fests as well as a link to come.to/legofest for the latest one.
Links to all UK LEGO Homepages, e-mails too if specifically requested.
LEGO UK addresses, as well as the new details about LEGO North Europe
based in Slough.
As well as other ideas I've just seen as ITLUG.

This sounds good! Maybe shopping could move from the top bar to the left panel
as well?

Lets see how well my brain works this early in the morning, and if I can
integrate the spotlight-hierarchy idea :) How does this look?
-Shopping
-Static Information - Busy Bee, Entertainer, etc;
-Links to (x) last spotlighted shopping reports
  -breakdown to countries, and then regions, poss not as far as towns/cities
  -Stuart Curtis had a cool idea which could fit right here
-Events
-LegoFESTs
  -Current (Details, directions, trading info etc)
  -Past (reviews, stories, pictures etc)
-Local (shouldn't need too much of a hierarchy for this)
-People
-Entire List
-Hierarchy by country, region and/or Smiley Map
-Lego Contacts

Where ever the hierarchy is mentioned, I'm thinking of something inspired by
Lugnet where if you selected Scotland, you'd see shops in Strathclyde and
Lothian (etc), and if you selected Lothian you'd see fewer shops, and if there
was an Edinburgh to click upon you'd probably just see those shops in
Edinburgh.

If some geographical hierarchy is implemented then it'd be nice to select an
area, and be able to see the shops and people nearby.

Although, is this the sort of thing that Lugnet would ultimately want to
achieve?

Is there any other type of information that should be on the site, that we
haven't thought of yet?

As for breaking down the loc.uk content into specialized categories, I
personally prefer to get all my UK Lego info in one place - even the
dreaded trade posts.

I agree - we battled with Todd to get rid of the 88 useless groups for
ages.  The only case for another group is for LOCAL auctions and sales.

I have to admit that I can't quite picture loc.uk getting swamped with
messages, and obviously the thing you want to avoid is *missing* out on
something important because you didn't subscribe to some more localised group!
The website will hopefully contain most of the vital information..

Do freenames allow cgi - or can they redirect to another site that does? Useful
for things like showing all people in Ireland who want to trade trains.

Richard