 Organizations / 340
Re: For the history books -- LUG & LTC dates of formation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:36:45 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

I am starting a list of local users group and clubs.  I want it to be as
complete as possible and for the history books (and, aw heck, for charts and
graphs someday) I'd like to include the official dates of formation of each
group/club.

As a first approximation, I checked in the newsgroups for the first mention
(i.e., the earliest reference) to each name.  This pegs the order of formation
pretty solidly, I think, and in some cases pegs the official formation dates
fairly closely, but for a couple of the more established groups (PNLTC for
example), the dates are probably off significantly.

Date format is yyyy/mm/dd:

2000-01-21  NCLUG: North Carolina LEGO Users Group (U.S.A.)

This could be backed up to 2000-01-15, I have an e-mail from Mike Walsh
dated then where he reports securing www.nclug.net. Our discussion about
forming the group however extends back to 1999-08-06 or thereabouts,
here is a pointer to the first formal announcement on Lugnet of the
intent to form a group (it may even be worth having 2 dates in the
listing, but then maybe it doesn't really matter):

http://news.lugnet.com/loc/us/nc/?n=25

What is clear is that a huge wave of organizing started in the 2nd half
of 1999, and NCLUG is definitely part of that wave.

Frank