 Organizations / 311
Re: When was GMLTC started? (was: Re: For the history books -- LUG & LTC dates of formation)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 23:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.org, Todd Lehman writes:

I guess what I'm looking for is the exact date on which GMLTC started calling
itself GMLTC (i.e., that it became that entity, however informally) and also,
if known, the date on which people in the Twin Cities (those who initially
founded GMLTC) started congregating and saying, "Hey, we should make a thing
of this."

Why exactly? (both senses...) That is, exactly why do you need to know this,
and why does it have to be exact? Would the year be good enough? GMLTC started
from one guy and his uncle who loved LEGO and grew from there. It's the
granddaddy of all LEGO train clubs, leave it at that. Not dissing PNLTC, they
were a clear second historically, and more organised sooner, but they are two
different beasts.

Like John G. said, most GMLTCers could care less (but not very much less)
about promotion, names, club structure, details, they just want to build. The
notable exceptions are John 8wide Neal and myself. We do it mostly for fun,
and I'm only an adjunct member, haven't been to a building session in almost a
year now. <sigh> It was in part 8wide that caused the club even to have a name
and a logo in the first place. That happend well before there was any
statements of club existance on RTL or LUGNET.

My 1.3 pence. (in the lounge at DTW awaiting my LGW flight to be called so
I'll think in Sterling, ok?)

++Lar