 Off-Topic / Debate / 28504
Re: JLUG - The Forum that WAS.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 05:05:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

   After some discussion between “admins”, (and after realising that all the posts are gone, but even the membership list are gone as well) both Ross and I decided that instead of starting fresh, we would let JLUG die a peaceful death.

Didn’t you guys keep back-ups?

I gotta say I’m pretty upset by this news - it’s as shocking as it is unexpected. I feel like I’ve lost a dear friend.

Doesn’t seem fair, does it? It was one of the good ones.

   Thanks to everyone for the support of our decision, may I wish you good luck in finding a new sandbox.

The only way that’s gonna happen is if I make it myself, but unfortunately I have neither the technical know-how nor the time to devote to such an enterprise.

I feel much the same way. I was contemplating setting up a website called save.JLUG.com, to provide a forum in which fans of JLUG could work to save JLUG. We could have provided anecdotes, aired carefully thought out arguments, made vague threats, and even written songs to support the reinstatement of JLUG.

But then I realised that if I had the expertise to set that up, I could probably just set up JLUG2 and be done with it.

Hmmm... I wonder if Janey and Ross contemplated finding some Albanians to take JLUG over?

Cheers

Richie Dulin

Former JLUG Cap’n Conspiracy