 General / 54981
Re: PaB Inventory On-line for the iPhone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:24:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
   You can “update” the part (meaning it’s still on the wall as of when you updated it), “empty” the container (meaning there’s nothing there on the wall now),

Hm. So is that ajax-based, or is that something that submits the whole form? Basically, I’m hoping that it’s a really simple click to set a particular element, so that I can merrily tromp my way down the page with a single, fast clicks, saying “yes this is still here” or “no it’s not still here”. (Hopefully not reloading the whole page each time with a page submission) If ajax isn’t an option, could it be done with checkboxes?

   or “edit” the part, which will take you to this next screen:

Is the X/Y coordinate necessary? For the most part, I think as a user I probably wouldn’t care too much about where it was on the wall, and as an inputter, it’s an extra step that I might screw up. Oh! And how would this work for, say, the Legoland parks, where there are actually several different walls, each with a separate X/Y? Is there a way of marking “Wall #2” perhaps?

   changing the type will change what’s displayed in the “part” drop down” (did this so you wouldn’t have to view a lot of unneeded parts) and by selecting a part, it will change the image as well to the part you selected.

Hmm... How many parts are in PAB walls all-told? I’m wondering if it might make sense to have a “quick-list”. Essentially, I’m thinking it could be a dropdown that covered *both* part type AND color. The contents could be determined by seeing what parts were available in ALL PAB’s across the world, removing anything that’s already selected as being on the wall. I’m just wondering if this might make things easier, since at any given time, there probably aren’t all that many different parts scattered across the PAB universe (I dunno though-- I guess the Legoland parks might have a large selection making this idea rather useless).

Another thought might be: are part lists and colors restricted to remove anything that’s not currently in production, and/or to BrickLink or LDraw part numbers? Is it possible to enter a part # (or description) for something that’s not in the dropdown list? Could it be cross-reffed with any data that would strip out anything we’ll never see? Like, say, finger hinges, minifig torsos, monorail track, etc)

   Talking with Joe Meno, his idea was to take a “grided” baseplate into the store & stick parts down on the baseplate corresponding to their position on the wall, then snap photos. Once home, he downloads the photos to his computer, then updates the inventory that way...

Heh, that was my thought too :)

Dan Boger set up something to update the PAB inventories on Peeron (dunno if it’s still there?), and I recall trying to do it that way, but it ended up with me just saying “meh”. Basically, it seemed like more work than necessary to completely photograph and/or transcribe while at the store, and more work at home since Dan’s interface just took part #’s (IIRC), which I had to look up myself.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I’d probably be more likely to do the updates if I had a really easy-to-use interface on my phone, because then I could do it while I was in the store. Heck, even if I only updated 2 or 3 parts while I was there, it was better than nothing (especially since I was more likely to update interesting parts rather than 2x4 blue bricks or something)

   The Orlando store (the one I live near) has a 40x6 wall, the grided baseplate idea might be better than trying to stand there and update the inventory via the iPhone & tripping over kids. :)

Definitely a factor for the busy stores! Oftentimes, it seems like when I’m just filling up a cup I’m still tripping over kids, let alone if I was trying to enter data!

DaveE