 General / 54633
Re: PaB Inventory On-line for the iPhone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 20:23:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, David VinZant wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Michael Huffman wrote:
   I just developed a web application for the iPhone called iPick-a-Brick:

http://www.brickbuildr.com/iPaB/

snip

I would love to help you with the Oregon Store PaB list. I work at the store and handle all the PaB ordering and stocking of the wall. So giving you updates will be easy when parts are added. Our store gets lots of traffic so the wall fluctuates a lot each week. For the most part 75% of the wall doesnt change to much. I also have an iPhone and can test things out.

Just let me know.

Dave,

This sounds great! :) How big is your store’s PaB wall?

Once I get the ‘Sign In’ & ‘Edit what’s on the Wall’ interface done, you should be able to do updates via your iPhone. Here’s what I’m thinking that will make wall updates easier... start at the bottom left hand side of the wall, we’ll call this our starting point of x=1,y=1. If you go up one container, it becomes x=1,y=2; go up once more it’s x=1,y=3; and so forth until the top of of wall.

If you move right one column along the bottom, it’s x=2,y=1. I hope you get the idea... back to high school algebra. :)

If you can send me a list of parts/colors using this grid system, I’ll get them entered into the database. Also, please let me know if a container is empty (it happens here in Orlando) or if a part is duplicated within containers on the wall.

NOTE: This becomes a little trickier if your store has the old PaB trees, but the amount of containers on trees shouldn’t make the list of part too long or hard to flick through to update the parts list, so I’m not too worried about it.

Until the interface is done, we’ll do a few updates via e-mail if that’s okay.

E-mail me if you have any questions. And I’m really looking forward to adding a second to the web-site.

Also, for those who are thinking about it, I’ll be adding a RSS feed to iPaB, so you’ll notified once new parts hit the walls. :) Now the question is, do you want the feed for all stores or by individual stores?

Thanks again, --Mike.