 General / 54647
Re: PaB Inventory On-line for the iPhone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:06:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Michael Shiels wrote:
   How easy can we make it for someone to update this data?

I work with quite a few stores, but honestly getting a full run down on parts is hard, if it was easy enough/brought in some extra business for the stores, I could see them maybe updating it??

snip

Once you sign-in, you’ll be able to select your store, hit ‘order by wall order’, you’ll be shown a list of parts based on the X,Y coordinates. You’ll visually compare this list of parts against what’s up on the wall. Next to each part (or think of it as a container) you’ll be giving the option to edit the container.

snip

Now that I’m about 90% done with the back end, what I’m planning to do with the next store we bring on-line -- I’ll enter into the database a bunch of empty containers set to the X,Y coordinates of the wall. Then turn the ‘admin’ loose on updating the wall, and working with that individual on how to make that process easier.

Sorry to respond to my own post, but there’s a few more thoughts I had...

I want to keep iPaB’s information up-to-date and accurate; I really DON’T want to cause issues for LEGO retail stores. I can see LEGO retail stores getting phone calls from people looking for items that don’t exists or might not be in-stock... if it’s a part in high demand, I will not be able to control out-of-stock problems, but I might give everyone the option of setting a container to “out-of-stock” if they call the store and it ends up being sold out -- something to add to my To-Do list -- but I can also see malicious users taking advantage of this feature.

Some stores, like Orlando’s LIC, have a lot of active AFOLs in the area, so keeping inventory up-to-date isn’t an issue for us. Other store might be a problem... If a LEGO retail person wants to get involved in updating their iPaB inventory, I’m all for it... bottom line is, it can turn into phone sales & help cut down on inventory misunderstandings.

But I’m wondering if we should treat remote stores somewhat like how Wikipedia treats information... anyone can edit a remote store’s iPaB information, but it must be reviewed & verified by someone before being published. Or certain stores would have different levels of confidence (ie. iPaB inventory being edited by LEGO store employee or a group of 2 or more AFOLs would be given a higher level of confidence in iPaB’s inventory accuracy, then a store being edited by the public).

Anyway... I’m still milling some of these ideas around. Opinions or other ideas are welcomed.

--Mike.