 General / 54979
Re: PaB Inventory On-line for the iPhone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:42:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Michael Huffman wrote:
   You’re very welcome! Still need people to help keep the inventory up-to-date... Any more takers?

How does it work currently? Depending on how much effort it is, I’d be all for updating the Burlington store’s inventory when I happen to be there (an remember), but I’m not sure if I’d continually keep it updated. Would it be feasible to give unique userids to Lego stores, or Lego store managers so they could help keep things up to date?

Basically, you sign-in:

Then you select your store, making sure include empty containers & duplicate parts, and order by “columns down”:

You are then presented with the store inventory:

You can “update” the part (meaning it’s still on the wall as of when you updated it), “empty” the container (meaning there’s nothing there on the wall now), or “edit” the part, which will take you to this next screen:

From here, you can move the part around on the wall (not advisable, but possible to change a part’s X,Y coordinates), change the color, type & part. Changing the color will change the color of the image, changing the type will change what’s displayed in the “part” drop down” (did this so you wouldn’t have to view a lot of unneeded parts) and by selecting a part, it will change the image as well to the part you selected. Then hit “update” when you’re done.

   Is it currently something like a pick-list of “yes they have these, no they don’t have these”, or is it more of a “list the part numbers and colors available”? Just thinking aloud, since keeping information updated ultimately means making it REALLY simple (and therefore often more complicated on the programming side) to update inventories. Especially since the web interfaces on phones are more limited than those on desktops or laptops, and the best way to do these is to update the inventories when you’re sitting in front of the PAB wall.

Talking with Joe Meno, his idea was to take a “grided” baseplate into the store & stick parts down on the baseplate corresponding to their position on the wall, then snap photos. Once home, he downloads the photos to his computer, then updates the inventory that way... The Orlando store (the one I live near) has a 40x6 wall, the grided baseplate idea might be better than trying to stand there and update the inventory via the iPhone & tripping over kids. :)

--Mike.